Clipping path disappears when I drag an image to copy to another doc.

NA
Posted By
NTC_Ann
Feb 12, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Mac OS 10.5.6. CS 3.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NA
NTC_Ann
Feb 12, 2009
I have a clipping path around my item. But when I drag it over to another Photoshop document to place over the other image (or copy paste) the clipping path disappears. Any ideas? Thanks.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Feb 12, 2009
When you say "clipping path"do you mean you have set up a path as a clipping path in Photoshop’s paths panel? This type of old school clipping path is not directly linked to the pixel content.

Sounds to me like you need to set up your path as a Vector layer mask. When you have done this, a drag and drop operation, will take the layer and the vector path with it. Copy and Paste will not.
P
Phosphor
Feb 12, 2009
You can drag a Path from the Paths palette or a document to another document. Aligning may be a problem though.
NA
NTC_Ann
Feb 12, 2009
Thank you. Where can I go to learn how to do a Vector Layer Mask? (Any tutorials?)Thanks.
P
Phosphor
Feb 12, 2009
Layer>Add Vector Mask>Current Path. All there is to it.
NA
NTC_Ann
Feb 12, 2009
Thank you.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Feb 12, 2009
Or holding down your command key, click on the Add Layer Mask icon in the layers panel. This will create a vector mask in the fastest way. Using the Path selection tool (A), you can copy and paste the path you already created into it.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections