P
Posted By
pmollica
Oct 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi have spent many hours trying to figure out why a simple clipping path is not working and am at my wits end… here is my problem: have outlined an image with the pen tool, in the paths palette, and then added another path within the original path where it is supposed to act as a compound path and knock out of the background. i have selected both paths and saved as a clipping path. the path around the object does knock out the background, the path within the object does not act as a compound path and knock out.

have tried to post the file for display on pixentral but it doesn’t support photoshop eps images, which is how i saved it. does anyone know another site where i could upload it so a knowlegeble PS user can take a look and see what i have done wrong?

am working in photoshop cs3

thanks, patti

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JS
Jeff_Schewe
Oct 8, 2008
The problem is that the the TWO path paths must be in ONE saved path, one inside of the other, in order to work as a knockout.
P
pmollica
Oct 8, 2008
selected them both at the same time, and saved as ONE clipping path. i did not save them separately.
P
PeterK.
Oct 8, 2008
You need to make sure you’re using the proper path type in the options bar. In your case you want the last one on the right.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=10FMxNfFSMaUxgNQFE Tk7mmPwoTGuE1>
P
pmollica
Oct 8, 2008
are you referring to the "exclude overlapping path areas?"i have not used that tool at all. i’m obviously doing serveral things wrong.

do you know where i can find help information on how to do this properly? is this called a clipping path? the only thing that i can find in the index of PS cs3 book is how to make a clipping MASK and that seems different than what i’m trying to do
thanks
P
PeterK.
Oct 8, 2008
If you haven’t used the option I told you to use, then what more help could I give you? Your answer is in my previous post.
P
pmollica
Oct 8, 2008
here is the issue: learned how to make clipping paths way back in photoshop 3. all i did was make the paths, save them as clipping paths, and voula – i had the path with the holes cut out, everything was fine. now fast forward to cs3, which i have not kept up with all the new functions, I didn’t know anything about the options bar features. i just spent about 3 more hours searching on the web to find a tutorial to show me the NEW way of making clipping paths with holes ( or compound paths) work, which, from what i have gleaned, is to select the inner paths (the holes) and hit that second button from the left, in the options bar (subtract from shape) save the whole thing as a clipping path, eps, and it seems to work when i import into quark or ID. I appreciate your help but don’t know how to use what you told me or where it fits into my method. thats why i wanted to find out from scratch how to use what you were telling me. I guess i’d have to read a tutorial about that too but don’t know where to find it… thanks for your time and effort to help.
patti
P
PeterK.
Oct 8, 2008
As I wrote in the previous post, select the option on the far right for your pen tool and draw your path. No tutorials necessary.
CB
charles badland
Oct 9, 2008
i learned how to make clipping paths way back in photoshop 3.

Well, you hardly need clipping paths anymore. Just do what PeterK said. It is easy. Don’t make this harder than needed. No tutorials are needed.

And, use a proper uppercase "I" to not have all of your posts in italics.
P
pmollica
Oct 9, 2008
thanks for the advise. so if these are not called clipping paths anymore, then what are they? there must be a term for a path that knocks out the background…
P
PeterK.
Oct 9, 2008
What Charles means is that clipping paths are an old method of achieving transparency to knock out background. Most people these days just apply masks to their layers to hide what they don’t need and save their images as .psd or .tif, which support transparent layers. With the new methods, you don’t have to limit yourself to the hard edge that clipping paths give. You can have soft, feathered edges, or even gradients going from solid image to transparency.
P
pmollica
Oct 9, 2008
thanks – i didn’t know that. that information is very helpful. patti
P
pmollica
Oct 9, 2008
so i have now learned the much easier way to create a clipping mask and it works perfectly in photoshop (using the layer mask is much faster, too) . HOWEVER, when i import it into quark as a tiff (saving transparency) or photoshop eps, it does not work. the background is there. it drops out in PS, but appears in quark. what am i doing wrong??? any ideas?
P
pmollica
Oct 9, 2008
btw, it also does not work when i import it into InDesign cs3
B
Buko
Oct 9, 2008
did you save the path as a clipping path in photoshop or did you just save the path.
P
PeterK.
Oct 9, 2008
Eps files cannot save transparency. Stick to psd or tiff, and when you bring them into Indesign, the transparency should work fine. Only the very latest versions of quark supported transparency (or maybe only with the proper extensions loaded). Indesign and Illustrator, work fine with transparent psds and tiffs.
CB
charles badland
Oct 9, 2008
How are you "importing" into ID3?
Proper way is go File>Place and browse to your image. Either PSD or TIFF. "Drag-n-drop" or "Copy-n-Paste" method will not retain transparency. Look up "Place (import) graphics" in ID3 Help. Not sure about Quark.
P
pmollica
Oct 9, 2008
to Buko: I did not create a clipping path at all, I just created a clipping mask

to Peter K: hmmm, thats not what i read in this tutorial, take a look towards the bottom where they tell you to save as eps… <http://www.photoshop911.com/clipping/index.html>
obviously this tutorial may be wrong

charles, imported it into indesign with place command, still not working.

Is there anywhere i could send this file and someone could take a look? Pixcentral does not accept tiffs or eps’s…
P
pmollica
Oct 9, 2008
I loaded some screen shots:

this one is what it looks like when placed into ID, purple background is colored box in ID < http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1Ns8xc3LxMUkVzuX6n CnDAtCir34Ne1>

this one shows my clipping mask in PS. I made the path irregular to include some of the red background, just to see if it was recognizing the mask, which it is. (it shows in the ID file)
so, why the white background??

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1LbvPlrkQOc8G2T1Xd S9t2PKteni>
P
pmollica
Oct 9, 2008
The PS CS3 online help menu says this:

If your image contains a transparent background or areas that you want to be transparent, create a clipping path around the opaque areas of the image. Even if you have deleted the background around the image, you must define the area with a clipping path before converting the file to TIFF or EPS format. Otherwise, areas that are transparent may appear as white in the page-layout program.

so on top of creating a clipping mask i have to create a clipping path around the clipping mask?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 9, 2008
Turn on overprint preview in In Design. Does it still look the same?
P
pmollica
Oct 9, 2008
yes, no change… (have to leave for about 1/2 hour, will check back in when i return)
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 9, 2008
send me the files.

zip or stuffed.

mo at andresensf.com
CB
charles badland
Oct 9, 2008
Edit:
Looks like ID does not support transparency with the TIFF. Huh. Works on my G5 10.4 at work, but not on my Intel 10.5 at home… Odd.

Here we go: check Save Transparency when saving as a TIFF
P
pmollica
Oct 9, 2008
I did have that checked… I have a MacBook pro, 10.4.11 will send the file to Mike now …
P
pmollica
Oct 9, 2008
I did have that checked… I have a MacBook pro, 10.4.11 will send the file to Mike now …

hmmm, i tried one more time and saved it again (w/transparency) turned on and this time it worked in InDesign. did not work in Quark. Photoshop EPS did not work in either program

so, maybe thats the trick, making sure the transparency option is turned on (altho i did have it turned on and for some odd reason it did not work previously)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 9, 2008
Your version of QXP may be too old to support transparency . In that case you would have to make sure that the Path had actually been designated and saved as a "Clipping Path" if you want the the image to be silhouetted in QXP.
P
pmollica
Oct 10, 2008
thanks to everyone for their help! patti
P
PeterK.
Oct 10, 2008
to Peter K: hmmm, thats not what i read in this tutorial, take a look towards the bottom where they tell you to save as eps… <http://www.photoshop911.com/clipping/index.html>

In the tutorial they are showing you how to use a clipping mask to confine a layer above to the pixel areas of a layer below and when they wrote "save as EPS", it looks like in the example they meant you could save as an eps to have the image with the wood layer included. An EPS cannot save transparency at all.
Btw, you don’t have to have a seperate layer to make your clipping mask. Once you have your selection area outlining your object, simply go to "add layer mask." You’ll see the mask icon show up to the right of your layer. You can even edit it by clicking on the mask and using any tools over it. Make the mask visible by clicking it on in your Channels palette.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections