Posted By
Tara_Henry
Jan 30, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello!

I have a TIF of a gasket (basically a big circle with additional open circles in its center) that I have drawn a clipping path around in Photoshop CS4 Extended v.11.0. When I go to place the image in InDesign CS4 (so I can “drop” out the background and have the gasket on a colored background), it only recognizes the clipping path around the perimeter of the large circle, and does not recognize the smaller clipping paths in the center.

All of the path portions are “grouped” in one clipping path, and there are no layers and no masks.

I have also tried to “make a selection” while all of the path portions are selected simultaneously, but that doesn’t work and it appears that even Photoshop is refusing to recognize the individual paths.

I am running Mac OS10.5.6 on a dual 2GHz PowerPC G5, 3gb RAM, 25.55GB free disk space, GeForce FX 5200 video card.

Thank you very much!
Tara

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
PeterK.
Jan 30, 2009
When you select your pen tool, look up in the options bar. There are four path types. You want the fourth one, which cuts out donut holes. You may be able to simply select the paths and change their type to whichever one will cut out the holes for you, (make them all exclude overlapping, or make the inner paths subtract) or copy/paste them into a new path that was created while the fourth pen tool option was selected.
TH
Tara_Henry
Jan 30, 2009
God bless you, PeterK! The exclude overlapping choice worked perfectly! I’m guessing that may be a default setting on CS3 and previous versions (at least on my installations). With that default gone, my clipping paths no longer worked correctly. Thank you, and I hope you have a great weekend!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections