C
Posted By
CarolE2B
Jul 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to place an image into illustrator CS with a clipping path and a shadow. the image shows up very light and there is no shadow. I also have 2 clipping paths but can you do that and have both knocked out?

thanks in advance

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 6, 2004
Either make the shadow in Illustrator; or use a Layer Mask and layer Style in Photoshop (rather than a Clipping path).
JS
John_Slate
Jul 6, 2004
….to clarify Ann’s 2nd suggestion, forget the clipping path, make sure your file has a transparent background (checkerboard), save as .psd and place that in Illy.
C
CarolE2B
Jul 6, 2004
thanks. my boss hates it when we use psd files…is this the only way?
JS
John_Slate
Jul 6, 2004
Tell your boss to join the modern age.
M
merge
Jul 6, 2004
Is the shadow printing over the top of other objects? All in all it depends on the artwork. One thing I used to do was to save an eps file in Ps that would contain only the clipping path and 4c image, and then save a separate grayscale file for the shadow that had the noise and dithering that I liked. I then put them together in Illustrator on different layers depending on what needed to be over what.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 6, 2004
I use eps with clipping path, but this is for use on a white background only. First, make a standard clipping path which you can then use to select the image, reverse the selection, and then delete the background to white. Create your shadows and then flatten the image. Copy the path and name it ‘path w/shadow’ and pull the path away from the object so it runs around the object shadow(s.) Save as eps with clipping. Also save your original ps file in a safe place for future reference and possible modification if needed.

Works well on white, keeps your boss happy, and you can use the original path to make an eps which clips the entire item with no shadow for knockout over other placed images or backgrounds.

: )
C
CarolE2B
Jul 6, 2004
It’s placed on another image, so I think I’ll take John’s advice 🙂

thanks you all!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 6, 2004
Which was based on mine, for heaven’s sake!

Just to clarify ……

< HMPH > !!!
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 6, 2004
It’s like the running of the bulls in here sometimes.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 6, 2004
If you’ll want film or plates made from that, you better ask your bureau.

Use inDesign (or Quark : )

I like the dithered black shadow solution, but I don’t dither, I halftone. (don’t do this at home : )
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 7, 2004
Not QXP. Not if you want transparent shadows.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 7, 2004
Halftones are transparent : )
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 7, 2004
Indeed.
But why take the hard road when you could use CS?
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 7, 2004
I suggested InDesign first (though I never used it) and Quark second (though I used it for this very reason, hundreds of times : )

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections