S
Posted By
smicale
May 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using CS2 and was wondering if there is a template that I can use to create CD Labels and Covers. If any one knows how please advise on how to do this.

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
Don_McCahill
May 6, 2005
I made one (cover) recently. I measured a CD, created a document, and designed the cover. Labels might be a bit harder … to do that I would determine what media they are being printed on (Avery labels?). If so, there is probably a paper template in the label kit that can be used.

Don McCahill
QP
Q_Photo
May 6, 2005
I simply scanned in a CD, a cover and a tray card (back side of CD case). Fill all with white and go from there. I have tried templates, but for me, this works better. When doing tray card be sure to include area on each end for CD title and artist name. Also, after doing your initial scan of each, save each as your templates for future jobs and work on new versions. Good luck.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
May 6, 2005
Or cheat–scan in the CD labels do your thing in Photoshop and if you have Illustrator, print out of Illustrator to correct for printer gripper edge…Just remember to keep the scan on it’s own layer and to turn it off or delete it before printing.
P
Phosphor
May 6, 2005
I’m doing one myself right now.

You know where I got my templates?

Right where I left ’em <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.2ccd3ccf/6> (warning: Sony link is dead)

🙂
N
NTD
May 6, 2005
Actually did some CD labels yesterday. Did the art in PSCS2, then took it over to InDesign for text, etc. Much prefer the precise layout capabilities for printing there.
S
smicale
May 6, 2005
Can you tell me how you did it so I can create one? I was really looking for a template like the ones you see in some of these label making programs. I am a newbie with PSCS2.

Thanks
PH
Photo_Help
May 6, 2005
smicale,

What are you printing to?

I use printable CD’s and a CD printer so I just made a new image 4.625" x 4.625" @ 300 PPI with a white background. Use the shape tool to draw a circle to fill the canvas (Hold down shift to constrain to an exact circle). Subtract the core and then you can use it for a clipping mask. Or just fill with a light gray and turn off that layer when you print.
S
smicale
May 6, 2005
Man you are way over my head. Like I said I am a newbie with this program. I need step by step walk throughs at this point.
S
smicale
May 6, 2005
Trying to print on to CD Labels. I forget who the maker is, but it is a common one. That is the goal. Would have thought PS would have had a template built in to be able to do something like this.
D
deebs
May 6, 2005
I don’t know about CS2 but in CS there is a tutorial as part of the install.

Have you checked tutorials that came with CS2?
S
sammybee
May 6, 2005
Smicale-

I know there are CD Labels and Cover templates in Illustrator CS and there should be in Illustrator CS2. And, part of the Creative Suite 2 (CS2) is Illustrator.

Hope this helps,
SammyBee
PH
Photo_Help
May 6, 2005
smicale,

Would have thought PS would have had a template built in to be able to do something like this.

Why? Photoshop is not a CD label printing program. Most label companies provide label templates on their site and several of those templates are PSD’s.

If they are Avery labels you can use the Avery software that comes with the labels and import the image when you are done in Photoshop.
P
Phosphor
May 6, 2005
"I was really looking for a template like the ones you see in some of these label making programs."

Did you even check out the link I provided above? All the templates you’re ever going to need can be found there.

If you can’t figure out how to use them, you have a lot more learning to do just to get a handle on how to use Photoshop.

If you don’t have the time, energy or inclination to do so, perhaps you would be better off using some proprietary labelmaking software.

Good luck with that.
D
deebs
May 6, 2005
Yeh – there are some fantastic alternatives available Serif, Publisher

If one wishes to design from scratch it takes time and those skills are not easily earned (IMHO)
S
smicale
May 9, 2005
Yes I figured it out! Thanks everyone!
SF
shizzle_fizzle
May 9, 2005
Google it, tons of templates

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections