SM
Posted By
Sheila_McGarrigle
May 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, I was asked to create a 6′ x 2′ banner for a trade show.

Can anyone give me tips on how to create one?

It is supposed to be the tag line, maybe the logo.

Is it as simple as creating a .jpeg in Photoshop? Is there more to it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
Don_McCahill
May 13, 2007
Find out who is printing the banner. Ask them what you should do. You will need to know what dimensions and resolution to make it, for one thing.
BN
Bill Neagle
May 15, 2007
Yes it is as easy as creating a jpeg but most printers prefer tiffs or pdfs. Generally, the image file must be no less than 300 dpi and text must be embedded. Just as a precaution, I’d also sent all the font files used just to make sure the banner file open correctly at the printers. Oh, one other thing – if you have a bleed (an image that goes all the way to the edge of the banner) extend that image at least one eighth of an inch beyond the edge and then add one eighth of an inch to each side, effectively making a 6’x2′ image for the banner into a 6 feet one fourth inch x 2 feet one fourth inch image.
Any other questions?

wrote in message
Hello, I was asked to create a 6′ x 2′ banner for a trade show.
Can anyone give me tips on how to create one?

It is supposed to be the tag line, maybe the logo.

Is it as simple as creating a .jpeg in Photoshop? Is there more to it?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
M
MisterOwl
May 16, 2007
Actually, you can *probably* get away with building it actual size, 200 dpi.. but like Bill says, it’s a good idea to contact the printer and ask them.

Also, if it’s going to be a vinyl banner with hemmed edges, you might want to go as far as adding an additional 1" bleed around each edge, for the hemming. So for a vinyl banner that will end up 6′ x 2′ with a 1" hem around the edges (for reinforcement, pretty much a requirement if there will be grommets installed), The actual document size will be 74" x 26". Also, if there will be grommets around the outside, allow for another 1" of dead space around the edges. In other words, your live space (for copy & pictures & such) will be 70" x 22". You can have background color or images in the dead space around the edges, but keep in mind you don’t want to put anything there that you wouldn’t want to see a grommet going through.

However, If it’s just a tagline & logo, you’d probably be better off creating the banner in Illustrator, assuming you can get a vector version of the logo. Creating the banner in Illustrator as a vector piece would eliminate any sizing issues, as vector images & text can be scaled to any size without losing quality.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections