P
Posted By
Phosphor
Sep 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can someone help me? I must have hit the wrong setting during installation, because now my PS Elements has overtaken my computer. When I try to download pictures from my CF card via a card reader, rather than having that program come up and let me make a folder in My PIctures, it now opens to Elements as if to overide everything else. Is there someway to have it to where I only open Elements when I want to???

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 26, 2003
Deda, are you running Windows or Mac, and which version of Elements?

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Sep 26, 2003
My guess is that she’s using a Win machine, because of her reference to My Pictures. We’ll see if I’m any match for Columbo in regard to my investigative abilities. 🙂
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 26, 2003
Beth, you are peerless in that regard…!

🙂
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Sep 26, 2003
Probably the easiest thing to do is to just reinstall your card reader software. If it were a case of double clicking on a jpg and having something unwanted come up, I could help you, but I am not sure about automatic things such as card readers. Maybe someone has a better idea, but then, in the time it might take for someone to post, you could reinstall your software and solve the problem. (make sure you have up to date backups before you do anything, though, just in case)
P
Phosphor
Sep 26, 2003
Vicky, I think Elements placed itself as lead dog when it was installed. Since she’s using a Win machine (I think), there’s a pretty simple way to change the default viewer. I just never remember what it is! It has something to do with opening a jpeg image and doing a right click manuver. But, being a Mac user, that’s all I remember. On my Win machines, I just let them do anything they want because I’m too lazy to train them. 🙂 The other thing I remember (I think) is that you have to go through this process to reassociate each image format.
P
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
In Windows, you can change it right from within Elements. Just select Edit–>File Associations…
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Sep 27, 2003
Beth Haney wrote:
Vicky, I think Elements placed itself as lead dog when it was installed

Yeah, that’s my point. It sounds like she’s dealing with the problem of having the wrong software come up when she plugs in her card reader. I’m not sure how Windows deals with this. I mean, fixing this might be just as easy as changing file associations, but I don’t know how to do it, personally, with a hardware/software package. In the past, when I’ve lost that link between some hardware and software package, I just reinstalled the software package, and all was well after maybe only 5 minutes (tops). (it might even be a driver issue – I don’t know. I only remember having minor problems with an external CD burner and I *think* it was actually the *driver* that I reinstalled, but sigh that was a couple of years ago now and these days I have a built-in one that worked right out of the box…)

My impression was that it was not a viewer issue. Maybe she’ll come back and tell us more. 🙂
P
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
Beth & Vicky: Good point about the hardware connection. I did a little more research and came up with a better answer. Thanks!

Deda,

Connect your card reader and close Photoshop Elements after it launches. Then follow these instructions (I found them in a Google Groups search after a little tinkering on my Windows XP machine) :

<begin quoted message>

1. Open My Computer

2. Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the device you want, such as a digital camera or CD-ROM drive, {in this case it would be your card reader–Lou} and then click Properties.

3. On the AutoPlay tab, click the multimedia content type you want to change {in this case it would be ‘Pictures’–Lou}.

4. Under Actions, click the action you want Windows to perform when it detects the media type you selected. {extraneous material deleted–Lou}

Dale Beaudette
Microsoft MVP _ Win XP
Associate Expert

<end quoted message>

Hope that helps!

Lou
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Sep 28, 2003
Thanks, Lou. I figured that there was a better way. Now, I just hope that Deda comes back. 🙂
DC
Deda_Chase
Sep 30, 2003
Thanks everyone! I had gone through the archives and found the way to fix it within Elements. But I am going to try to do it per Lou’s "Google Search" As far as reinstalling the software for the reader I tried that, only to find out with XP, you don’t use that step. So I went to Best Buy and bought a new Sandisk reader and it’s virtually the same. But I have PSE subdued and that’s the main thing.
You guys are great!!!!!!!!! I didn’t check back sooner, because I figured I’d get about the same help I did calling tech support! Which was none!!!!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections