DS
Posted By
Doug_Silver
Jun 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First the straightforward question: I could not find anything under "preferences" to allow me to change the default directory that opens with the "browse" command. Does Adobe always want to browse to the directory that was last opened?

Now the more esoteric question. I am new to this type of software and am trying to get a feel for how and when to use the various tools. I know the basics like how to use the levels tool to improve exposure but that is about it. I can understand what layers are but don’t really have a clue as to when to use them for a basic photograph. I bought a few books (the one by Scott Kilby and another called Hidden Powers) but these mainly go through the mechanics of doing something with an image. There is obviously a skill that enables one to look at an image and somehow know the various tools, layers, techniques that will need to be used to improve it. In other words, learing the tools is one thing, but formulating what tools to use when is another. Are there some basic books or tutorials that start at a more fundamental level?

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 8, 2004
Doug,

Personally, I believe the best way to learn Photoshop Elements is to get a few images and just start experimenting. Don’t put pressure on yourself to start producing meaningful results on critical photographs in the beginning. Just take some time to go through the books that you already have because they are very good. And as you go through the books just think of different ways to apply the things that you are learning. I don’t use every method that is taught in the books. I only use what I feel that I need.

As far as layers are concerned, my workflow usually involves creating layers for just about everything. Whenever I want to adjust the color, or the levels, or the Hue/saturation, or whatever, I do it with the appropriate adjustment layer. That way I can always modify the layer, or even remove a layer if necessary, without damaging the original image.

So I would just suggest that you start experimenting. As you do so, you will start to get a feel for how everything works. I don’t know about the others who contribute here, but it has taken me seven years to gain what little understanding I have of Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.

Jim
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 8, 2004
Doug,

Jim is right … the best way to learn is to experiment.

A tutorial can help too … try <http://www.arraich.com/elements/psE_intro.htm>

Go down the screen and you will see tutorials on the basics of Elements … try some of them and if you get stuck just ask questions here. There is always someone willing to help out 🙂

Wendy
DS
Doug_Silver
Jun 8, 2004
Wendy–thanks for the website tutorial. I’ll bookmark that and try to spend time perusing. The thing that gets me about the books and articles I see in various photo mags regarding images, is that they always start the image improvement how-to’s by jumping right in with "create layer, set opacity at such-and-such", etc.) I would like to see these types of how-to’s expanded with explanations such as "create a layer BECAUSE . . . ". I guess it takes alot of playing around with digital images to form the intuition as to what needs to be done to improve (or alter) an image.
NS
Nancy_S
Jun 8, 2004
Doug,

I think you hit the nail on the head…just playing around, experimenting and following tutorials will develop your eye in seeing what needs to be done to improve an image and how to do it. One just has to put in the time. Things will just "click" for you one day and become much easier.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 8, 2004
The thing I have decided that I will never understand is the different layer modes. Some of the tutorials I have followed just matter-of-factly tell you to create a layer and choose a certain mode, like it is just as simple commonsense choice to make. But I don’t understand the why and the wherefore of the different modes. So don’t feel alone, I’m probably as confused as anyone.
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 8, 2004
wrote
The thing I have decided that I will never understand is the different
layer modes…

Jim,

You are not alone!!

Thankfully, Jay Arraich has provided a comprehensive description of the various belnding modes, which apply to layers and some tools, as well… including pictures!!

http://www.arraich.com/ref/tool_blend_modes.htm

The documentation is oriented to PS7, so the order of modes is different than PSE — but the information is applicable.

Of course, you could always refer to PSE Help under:

Painting > Setting options for paingint and editing tools > Selecting a blending mode

….but that reads, strangely enough, like a software manual. ;~)

Byron
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 8, 2004
belnding = blending
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 8, 2004
Sheesh!!

…and paingint = …oh never mind what it means… :~p
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 8, 2004
Byron,

Re: Sheesh!!

I have to assume you are posting through a newsgroup. You are a braver man than I! Without the spell checker considering, my typing ability, everything I post would end up like that.

The important thing is you get your point across and we understand. Well, maybe not "paingint". 🙂

Here we go: "Check Spelling", fix all 23 and then post.

Bob
DS
Doug_Silver
Jun 9, 2004
Thanks all–I feel better now and not so stoopid! By the way, getting back to my first question, is there a way to set a default directory for the Adobe browser to open?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections