JM
Posted By
James McNangle
Jul 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been doing some fine trimming on web page designs, and wanted to know the exact dimensions of various parts of the page. I used Printscreen to capture the page, and then opened it as a new file in Photoshop. I found that if I set the resolution to 10 pixels per centimetre, and wound up the magnification to about 500% I could easily read off the precise location in pixels of any point on the page.

Unfortunately when I open a new page in Photoshop the resolution is always set to 72 pixels per inch, and I have to reset it to my desired value every time. I did some fossicking, and eventually found ‘New Document Preset Resolutions’ under Edit > Preferences > Units and Rulers. I set ‘Print resolution’ to 50 pixels per centimetre and ‘Screen resolution’ to 10. I thought this would do the trick, but when I open a new file it still comes up with Resolution 72 pixels per inch.

Is there a way of setting this resolution?

James McNangle

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Jul 8, 2006
"James McNangle" wrote in message
I have been doing some fine trimming on web page designs, and wanted to know the
exact dimensions of various parts of the page.

I think you are making the task more difficult than necessary. Go here and try the desktop ruler. http://www.desktopruler.com/download.htm
K
KatWoman
Jul 8, 2006
"2" wrote in message
"James McNangle" wrote in message
I have been doing some fine trimming on web page designs, and wanted to know the
exact dimensions of various parts of the page.

I think you are making the task more difficult than necessary. Go here and try the desktop ruler. http://www.desktopruler.com/download.htm
FWIW "file new" always comes up in the dimensions and size of the image on the clipboard

and I am not sure what you are trying to do the measuring for, but any screen set to a different resolution will give you different dimensions in actual screen inches.
for example the same image and text will look smaller on the screen at 1280×768 than at 800×600
JM
James McNangle
Jul 9, 2006
"KatWoman" wrote:

FWIW "file new" always comes up in the dimensions and size of the image on the clipboard

Yes, I realise that, but the ‘Resolution’ is an almost meaningless value. Its only significance is in controlling the size of the image if you print it. So far as the image on the screen is concerned it has no meaning whatsoever, so it is logical that you should be able to set it to whatever you like. (And in any case I almost always have to reset it to fit the paper when I do print anything.)

and I am not sure what you are trying to do the measuring for, but any screen set to a different resolution will give you different dimensions in actual screen inches.

Certainly the physical size of the image on the screen is determined by the number of pixels in it, the dimensions in pixels of the screen, and the dimensions of the screen. The nominal resolution has no effect on the image on the screen. I just loaded an image with resolution set to 10 pixels per centimetre, changed it first to one pixel per centimetre, and then to 1000. The rulers changed madly, but the image did not change at all.

I have been having trouble with web pages which did not quite line up as they should, and have been trying to determine how many pixels padding/borders I was actually getting around my images, as against what I thought I should to be getting, and similar puzzles. By calibrating my rulers in centimetres and setting the resolution to 10 pixels per centimetre, and suitably magnifying the picture, I can immediately read out the exact coordinates in pixels of any point on the page.

And I still don’t know what ‘New Document Preset Resolutions’ refers to, as all new documents come up at 72 pixels per inch regardless of what I set these values to.

James McNangle

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections