CG
Posted By
Chester_Godsy
Jul 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS3 has had some trouble when trying to restart the computer using the Windows software restart request. Photoshop can’t save the preferences under these circumstances, and will go back to default settings. This has happened when I leave automatic windows updates running and also when I request a restart from the desktop.

Here is an example of what I saw one time. Photoshop was running. I closed all open images inside photoshop but I left photoshop running. I requested an OS restart (reboot). A message popped up that said something like "error, could not save the preferences". After rebooting and restarting photoshop I noticed that all the photoshop preferences were set back to default settings.

Photoshop if fine if it is shutdown using the normal File–>Exit command.

All software and drivers have been updated to current version. Our system includes the following hardware and software: CS3
Dell Optiplex with an Intel Core 2 processor
4 GB ram with memory currently set to default boot.ini settings. Paging is set initial 2 GB max 4 GB.
The OS is XP home edition.
Dell mouse, and an older serial based WACOM pad.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 5, 2007
This normal behaviour.

Photoshop must be closed properly before a system restart or shut down.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 5, 2007
For this very reason I have my Windows Update preferences set to "Download but ask me when to install"

Tip: After you go through the regime of resetting the Preferences to the way you like to work, make a back-up copy of the file. that way you can simply copy it back should the need ever arise in the future.
CG
Chester_Godsy
Jul 5, 2007
Thanks for the response.

However, I didn’t expect this because we didn’t have trouble with previous versions of photoshop where we used automatic updates,
namely Photoshop V7 and CS.

I will have to change automatic updates to download and not reboot.

I am wondering if Adobe considers this to be normal behavior?
CG
Chester_Godsy
Jul 5, 2007
Do you know the name and location of the Preferences file?
P
PeterK.
Jul 5, 2007
It is normal in that Photoshop saves the preferences in the final state you left them in just as you shut down Photoshop. If you shut down the OS without shutting down Photoshop first, you aren’t giving Photoshop the chance to write those preferences according to its shutdown procedure,(the OS shuts down abruptly), so they are lost or corrupted.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 5, 2007
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections