JG
Posted By
Julio Guerra
Aug 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have found some old color prints that are very dirty. Dust and little particles of whatever are all over them.
Mearly brushing, wiping softly with a cloth does not clean them. I want to scan them and then edit them.

How does one clean these prints so that most of the junk can be removed before the scan? Any tricks?

I took one (of which I had a duplicate) and used the "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" approach and sprayed it with Windex. At first it seem to ruin the picture but when it dried it seemed to be ok and clean.

This seems drastic of course. Can anyone give me a less desperate approach to this problem. Thanks
Julio

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Aug 25, 2003
Julio, have you tried one of those very, very soft art gum erasers? I’m not sure where you’d get one, but probably a craft store. I think it might do the job, but you’d want to experiment carefully. I tried a Google search, because I think I’ve seen this suggested somewhere, but I couldn’t find anything specific to cleaning photographs on my first run through.
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 25, 2003
Julio, if it were me…I’d be using photoshop or photoshop Elements to ‘clean’ it up and print it. After scanning there is more than enough tools in the program. I would start with the clone tool and then tinker with whatever works for the image like adjustment layers and smudge and sponge…whatever works to improve the image. Afterall, this is what the program is for…well, one reason of thousands anyways. 🙂
JG
Julio Guerra
Aug 26, 2003
Thanks Leen. I will try this instead of the Windex.

Jodi I will and do clean photos with PS and PSE but these prints are so dirty that I wanted something that would help "pre-clean" them first so that the editing job would not be so long.

Thanks you guys for the responses.
Julio
DN
Doug Nelson
Aug 27, 2003
If the emulsions are in good shape you can try using an adhesive lint roller. Don’t try this with cracked or flaking emulsions. I also wouldn’t recommend Windex, soap, or any other household cleaner. lightimpressionsdirect.com sells a safe print cleaning fluid.

http://www.retouchpro.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections