DJ
Posted By
Doctor John
Dec 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use Photoshop 7 with an Epson 980 printer. I refill my own cartridges, and the printer colors are not true to the screen colors. I’ve read documents on color correction and did have some luck with corrections, but there must be an easier way to do this. Are there any pre-made color swatch files or other shortcuts to do a simple color correction for a given printer. I’m not trying to correct my scanner as mostly I print photos loaded straight from a digital camera. Thanks in advance for any help.

John

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JG
James Gifford
Dec 17, 2003
"Doctor John" wrote:
I use Photoshop 7 with an Epson 980 printer. I refill my own cartridges, and the printer colors are not true to the screen colors. I’ve read documents on color correction and did have some luck with corrections, but there must be an easier way to do this. Are there any pre-made color swatch files or other shortcuts to do a simple color correction for a given printer. I’m not trying to correct my scanner as mostly I print photos loaded straight from a digital camera. Thanks in advance for any help.

Don’t refill cartridges. There’s no way you’re ever going to get accurate color output, since the refill inks are generally of substandard quality and vary in a number of parameters from OEM ink.

You *might* be able to created a corrected profile for each new set of cartridges, but you’d probably use a quarter of the ink in tests before you got it right.

Honestly, Doc, this is is on the order of going to a photo group and complaining that your disposable camera doesn’t take very good pictures. If you’re trying to work nickel-and-dime, you’re going to get n&d results!

| James Gifford * FIX SPAMTRAP TO REPLY |
| So… your philosophy fits in a sig, does it? |
| Heinlein stuff at: www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah |
R
RogM
Dec 18, 2003
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:18:44 GMT, "Doctor John" wrote:

John
I don’t blame you for refilling the Epson carts. It is common, however, to experience color variation from that of original Epson inks, so some effective means of ink profiling (actually ink/paper profiling) is needed. There are various ways of doing this, usually involving some sort of color reflection color densitometer or even the use of an ordinary scanner together with specialized cal programs and color references. Unfortunately these things are likely to cost more than your printer did.

One helpful utility for correcting colors for printing is the Photoshop plugin "Color Mechanic" that allows zones of color to be corrected individually. This is a great secret weapon for portraits, especially when skin tones are poor.
DJ
Doctor John
Dec 18, 2003
Thanks for the Tip, Roger. I’ll search for the Color Mechanic plug-in. John.

"RogM" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:18:44 GMT, "Doctor John" wrote:

I use Photoshop 7 with an Epson 980 printer. I refill my own cartridges, and the printer colors are not true to the screen colors. I’ve read documents on color correction and did have some luck with corrections,
but
there must be an easier way to do this. Are there any pre-made color
swatch
files or other shortcuts to do a simple color correction for a given printer. I’m not trying to correct my scanner as mostly I print photos loaded straight from a digital camera. Thanks in advance for any help.
John
I don’t blame you for refilling the Epson carts. It is common, however, to experience color variation from that of original Epson inks, so some effective means of ink profiling (actually ink/paper profiling) is needed. There are various ways of doing this, usually involving some sort of color reflection color densitometer or even the use of an ordinary scanner together with specialized cal programs and color references. Unfortunately these things are likely to cost more than your printer did.

One helpful utility for correcting colors for printing is the Photoshop plugin "Color Mechanic" that allows zones of color to be corrected individually. This is a great secret weapon for portraits, especially when skin tones are poor.
MR
Mike Russell
Dec 21, 2003
Doctor John wrote:

There are indeed color profiling packages that will perform this function. The less expensive ones, such as Monaco Color, Wiziwyg, and Vuescan, operate by printing, then scanning, a standard image.

The problem with these products, and indeed any product that relies on your flatbed to "close the loop" and generate a printer profile, is the rather deep tonal ranges of today’s printers. The end result is often a profile that drops out the bottom couple of steps in the test strip as pure black. Using vuescan’s (www.hamrick.com) long exposure feature can help with this, as will cleaning the interior of your scanner glass, and using a newer hibit scanner with a good S/N ratio.

BTW – there is a color profile action that may be interesting to look at. It uses Photoshop’s displacement filter functionality to generate an RGB "neutral response" curve. Free, and fun!
http://www.curvemeister.com/downloads/

The more expensive packages include measuring instruments, but IMHO this is overkill for a one person system, and not guaranteed to get good results either.

Here’s another procedure that you can try for free:

1) print the nozzle check pattern – obvious, but I’ve made the mistake more than once of trying to adjust color because light magenta or light cyan is clogged. Assuming that’s OK, proceed to step 2.

2) Generate a neutral gradient or step wedge, or download one from this location, which includes skin tones:
http://www.curvemeister.com/downloads/

3) Print the test strip, and adjust your printer driver settings to get rid of any overall cast. Generally this will do the job, or get you in very close.

BTW – if a small section only of the test strip has a cast, go back and print the nozzle check 🙂

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections