SH
Posted By
Steve_Hutchcraft
Mar 21, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Okay, I’m frustrated. I ran out of ink on my epson r2400, specifically light light black and light magenta. I changed cartridges and now the color is off. I haven’t changed the profiles or settings and the image is the same (I was printing multiple copies of the same image when I ran out of ink). The prints are much more magenta now . The inks are epson inks, the paper is Costco paper, the profile I got directly from Costco. I ran a nozzle check, and it was fine. The combination worked very well until I ran out of ink.

I contacted Epson, to see if they could explain it or if they ever have ink inconsistencies. They assured me that their ink quality is perfectly consistent. Therefore, they said, the problem must be with the paper or my settings in Photoshop.

Has anyone experienced a color shift simply from changing cartridges before? Any suggestions on what might have happened within Photoshop to cause such a problem? Any suggestions at all?

Thanks,

Steve

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EC
Eric_Chan
Mar 21, 2009
Try:

– Taking the inks out one by one, giving each one a gentle side-to-side shake 5 times or so, then putting them back in. See if that makes any difference.

– If that doesn’t work, try doing a head cleaning, even if a nozzle check looks ok.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 21, 2009
check your print utility setting again (don’t use Saved settings they corrupt)

FILE> PRINT

Printer: Be sure your 2400 is selected
Document (be sure it is selected, not proof)
Color Handling: Photoshop manages Color
Printer Profile: SPECIFIC profile for your Costco paper
Rendering Intent: Relative Colorimetric
Black Point checked

PRINT

Print Settings

Media Type (select the surface type closest to your paper (glossy, luster, matte…) Mode: Advanced> Print Quality

Printer Color Management

OFF (No Color Adjustment)

Then print…
R
Ram
Mar 21, 2009
(don’t use Saved settings they corrupt)

This must be emphasized. Lots of folks are unaware of this

I haven’t used any saved print presets for ages because of this.

Said presets can also become non-sticky so that you have to select it again even if the presets name is showing already.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 21, 2009
also be sure you have the Epson 2400 selected as the default printer
SH
Steve_Hutchcraft
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for all the tips!

I did try them all, shaking, cleaning, resetting. All to no avail. I’m going to head out and buy another light magenta and change it out to see if that makes a difference. . . .

Thanks again!

Steve
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 24, 2009
Steve,

I’ve never seen color shift as you describe just from changing a printer cartridge on my R2400. (I use genuine Epson carts.)

But if you haven’t used the printer in a couple of weeks or so, or if it is in the sun, or if the humidity is low, you may have to do a head cleaning; perhaps a few times, until the test patterns run consistently, with no breaks.

Also, check the expiration dates for your ink carts. They are displayed in the Epson print utility and are printed on the blue-and-white Epson boxes. And keep you spare cartridges sealed in their boxes in a cool, dry place until needed.

Neil
SH
Steve_Hutchcraft
Mar 29, 2009
Thanks for the latest tips, though the problem has been solved!!

I ran through the light magenta cartridge in question making a lot of color prints where the match wasn’t critical. I replaced the cartridge with another epson light magenta and printed the same photo that initially caused my concern. Amazingly it is back to where it belongs, identical to the prints I printed before I made the last cartridge change.

Therefore, in my opinion, the cartridge was indeed the culprit. Surprising yes, disappointing yes, rare yes, but it really, truly did happen.

I’ve always been a fan of epson, but it sure is infuriating when a manufacturer places the blame on someone else and refuses to even consider that the fault could possibly be in their own quality control.

Though I will most likely stick with epson when I eventually search for another printer, I may now entertain other brands. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve
R
Ram
Mar 29, 2009
How old was that cartridge?
SH
Steve_Hutchcraft
Mar 29, 2009
All purchased in 2009 at the local office max . . . .didn’t save the box and I can’t decipher the code stamped on the cartridge so I don’t know the age. I would assume they go through a fair bit as they are the only local supplier that carries 2400 ink.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 29, 2009
Steve,

I wouldn’t assume. I don’t think any of us has never inadvertently picked up expired food, even in heavily trafficked supermarkets. Your ink supplier may not have rotated his stock properly.

If swapping a (genuine Epson) cartridge for another of the same type works, the cartridge could be old or have a defective chip, or there could have been nozzle clogging. The Epson Printer Utility, will tell you cartridge dates. Similarly, dates are stamped lightly on every Epson ink cartridge box.

Neil
R
Ram
Mar 29, 2009
or there could have been inkjet nozzle clogging.

A distinct possibility. Replacing a cartridge triggers vigorous cleaning activity in the printer.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections