P
Posted By
paulm52
Aug 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m missing portions of some PDF files when loading them into Photoshop Elements 2.0 (Windows).

For example, I try to load an 11 x 8.5 document (landscape) that identifies itself as being created with "Acrobat Distiller 5.0.5 (Windows)". When Elements loads the document, it defaults the image size as 6.989 x 8.5 inches — which is approximately the right dimensions, but in portrait mode. Consequently, the image is truncated on the left and right edges.

This is a public document ( http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/bike-foot/docs/bikevilas .pdf). Acrobat Reader 6.0 reads this file properly.

Does anyone know a way to "trick" Elements into reading the entire PDF? Or to modify the PDF to overcome this limitation? Is Photoshop Elements getting confused interpreting the "rotation" indicator in the PDF? Is this a PDF plug-in problem? Or is this simply "cockpit error"?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

KW
Kyle White
Aug 5, 2003
From the looks of it PSE2 isn’t interpreting the orientation correctly. However, there may be a work-around.

In Acrobat Reader you can use the Graphics Selection Tool, select the whole page and then paste it into a new PSE2 image ( File -> New from Clipboard ). This gave me approximately 1260×1000 pixel image.

Don’t know if it will have the resolution you need, but it didn’t look to horrible.

HTH

Kyle

P.S.: This was on a Mac using Acrobat 6 and PSE2
P
paulm52
Aug 5, 2003
Thanks, Kyle for the tip about Acrobat Reader 6’s Graphic Selection Tool. I had been using Windows’ "screen capture", pasting the content into PSE2, and editing out the edges.

But this approach only copies the image at screen resolution. You can see that these maps are at a fairly high resolution. I’ll be spending some time pasting and editing unless someone else has another idea.

Anyone know how or what to edit in the PDF file? Maybe to undo the orientation?
NS
Nancy S
Aug 5, 2003
Paulm52,

In Windows…are you right clicking the file and using ‘save as’ or ‘save target as’…in other words saving it to your computer and then opening it up with Acrobat Reader and clicking on print?

Also, the Reader is up to Version 6 now, do you have a fairly current version?
NS
Nancy S
Aug 5, 2003
paulm52,

whoops, I see you do have Version 6
KW
Kyle White
Aug 5, 2003
Well, TexShop/LaTex didn’t like it either. BUT, I can report success for Mac users.

I opened it in Preview, did an "Edit -> Copy" and then in PSE2 did an "Open from Clipboard" and got an 8.5 x 11 inch 300 dpi image. Note that while in Preview, I did not select anything, just used the menu commands.

So, paulm52, should you so desire, I have a 3.1MByte TIFF image of the map, which did compress a little more with zip, so it’s down to 2.4MBytes, that I can e-mail to you. Assuming, of course, that you have enough room in the Inbox at your ISP. You can get my e-mail address by clicking on my name at the top of this message.

Hope folks find this useful.

Kyle
P
paulm52
Aug 8, 2003
Thanks, Kyle, for the tip about "graphics copy" in Acrobat Reader. I was able to use that and cut&paste the missing parts of the image.

Obviously, I would have preferred for PSE2 to load the PDF files directly and not mess around. But I didn’t know enough of the PDF format to try to "whack" a few bytes around and correct the problem.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections