Posted By
Charleyjohn_Gallay
Oct 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

(This used to work, but since I reinstalled, it doesn’t anymore!) Can anyone Help?!? Please… Thank you.
Firstly, I am using XP.
I go to my jpeg image, right click and open with Photoshop Elements (it is there in the list). I select it, and the program opens up.
But the image is not there. It is just the program, requiring me to find the image using the open file icon inside the program. Tedious!

Any help, please.
THANKS SO VERY VERY MUCH,
Charley

it’s these little things that make me love or hate my computer, depending!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BB
brent_bertram
Oct 11, 2003
Charley,
Use "Regedit.exe" to examine the registry key : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\PhotoshopElements.exe\shell\o pen\command .

The data should look like "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\PhotoshopElements.exe" "%1" .

Frequently the %1 is left out and that creates the problem you mention. Simply add it, using the edit option.

🙂

Brent
CG
Charleyjohn_Gallay
Oct 11, 2003
Hi Brent,

Indeed, the 1% is left out.

I’m in the registry editor, looking at it.
The "quotation marks" in your suggestion are confusing me somewhat however… Could you show me what I should make it look like without quotation marks, please? Also, how do I change it?

THANKS SO MUCH!!! I really do appreciate it.
Charley
CG
Charleyjohn_Gallay
Oct 11, 2003
Hey Brent,

I just went ahead and put the %1 right after .exe – no spaces, slashes or whatnot, and here’s what happened: Suddenly, when I go to "open as," Photoshop is not there anymore, and when I browsed to it in My Programs, and clicked on it, the image opened in windows picture viewer.
I must have done something wrong…
Thanks again for any clarification,
Charley
JD
Juergen_D
Oct 11, 2003
Charley,

I just looked. There are quote marks around the %1: "…..Elements.exe" "%1"
Just like Brent had it.

Juergen
CG
Charleyjohn_Gallay
Oct 11, 2003
Thanks so much.

However…
All that did was make Photoshop elements disappear from the right-clicked "open as" menu. And, again, when I browsed over to Photoshop Elements in My Programs, and clicked on it to be the "opening" program for the right-clicked image, the image opened up in windows picture viewer.

So, still, Help!

Thanks, ;),
Charley
CG
Charleyjohn_Gallay
Oct 11, 2003
Any Ideas?
JD
Juergen_D
Oct 11, 2003
Charley,

It is better to stay with the original thread. Otherwise people may get confused.

I am not very firm in dealing with the registry. So, maybe somebody more expert can come in on this.
In the meantime three thoughts:
did you reboot after editing the registry?
can you find Elements in the list when going to >Choose Program…? reset Elements preferences: Hold simultaneously Ctrl, Alt and Shift as Elements starts up. Answer yes to the question if you want delete the preferences.

Juergen
CG
Charleyjohn_Gallay
Oct 11, 2003
Juergen,

Hi.
I did delete the preferences, and rebooted. I CAN see Photoshop Elements in the right-click drop down menu, but, when I select it, the program opens without the image.

My registry at this point Does Not have the "%1", because when I included that, Photoshop Elements disappeared from the right-click drop down list, to such a point that when I browsed to the program, it would not open.

Still at point A, I guess.
BB
brent_bertram
Oct 11, 2003
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\PhotoshopElements.exe" "%1"

The above line is precisely what is in my "data" of the referenced key. Check your quotes and spacing, it’s all I can suggest.

🙂

Brent
CG
Charleyjohn_Gallay
Oct 11, 2003
Brent!

Thank you so much–that was the solition. I just copied your line and pasted it where you said, et voila!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Charley
BB
brent_bertram
Oct 11, 2003
Happy Day <G>
JD
Juergen_D
Oct 11, 2003
Brent,

🙂 🙂

Juergen

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections