AH
Posted By
amanda hyde wilson
Sep 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I created a new user and it did not help, it still does not start the program. And i’ve tried to delete the preferences a couple times . it was one of the first things I tried to do when the program first crashed.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Sep 5, 2006
Next thing I would do is reinstall Photoshop
MG
Michael_Groff
Sep 5, 2006
I am having a similar issue trouble shooting PS CS2, not opening files. I know about the form above (2003 date) so it is not relevant, plus the FAQ and knowledge base are all old and dated. Here is the problem to note.
PS CS2 9.01, OSX 10.4.7, on G5 dual 2Gig – worked fine Friday. Now PS runs, but won’t open file on double-click, on menu open, or save file, just beach ball. Select PS from dock and it knows it needs to force quit.

Have done disk Utility, repaired permissions, Mac runs 24/7, ran Cocktail, deleted prefs, followed knowledgebase docs (www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332313.html & 33137). Pulled last installed plug-ins.

Don’t understand the console, since there are no tabs in its preference menu. Do you read newest log at bottom? And it does not update as problem is reconstructed.

Have searched forms and find only old issues, this seems to be most recent, but not getting true crash, "unexpectedly quit".

Have tried new user and seems to correct problem, PS works fine. What does this tell me? How does knowing this help me isolate the problem? What is my next step?

Thanks for any help.
B
Buko
Sep 5, 2006
If it works in a new user then there is something corrupt in the old user. An Archive and Install of the system will usually fix this.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 5, 2006
If an Archive and Install (followed by running the latest Apple COMBO Update from your Desktop) does NOT fix the problem, try this:

Make a copy of your Users/Library/Preferences Folder on your Desktop as a back-up.

Then trash the entire CONTENTS of your original Users/Library/Preferences Folder; reboot and let the Prefs. rebuild themselves.

And see if that works.

Only add back those of your old Prefs that you then find that you really need (such as the Mail and Safari ones).
AH
amanda hyde wilson
Sep 6, 2006
I tried reinstalling the program already and it did not solve anything. Im not sure what you mean by an archive and install. But I am willing to try anything.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
I meant for you to use your Tiger DVD to do an an "Archive & Install" of Tiger; followed by applying the Apple 10.4.7 COMBO Updater; to give yourself a brand new System.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections