PM
Posted By
Phil Marq
Jul 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I attempt to open certain .gif files in elements 2.0 it causes the program to hang. Using the file browser to open the folder that contains those .gifs also hangs the program when it gets to those .gifs. The curious thing is it’s only a few .gifs that cause the problem and these files open without any problem in other veiwers and editors. When I check the properties of the .gifs I don’t see anything that might cause the problem. Very preplexing. Any ideas? Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Jul 27, 2003
Phil,

What OS are you using? Windows, Mac OS? How is your hard drive in relation to it’s structure for damage?

Gerry
PM
Phil Marq
Jul 27, 2003
OS is XP home. Hard drive has no structure damage. Scanned and defragged regularly.
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 27, 2003
OK, Windows users… For Mac, the really good shareware program that can accomplish the impossible is GraphicConverter. There’s something for Win machines that’s comparable – give it a task and it just does it. But I can’t think of the name of it!

I’m thinking these gifs might be corrupted. If so, another piece of software might be able to open them. Can gifs then be converted to another format and back again? If so, a process like that might clean them up so Elements would open them instead of locking up. I’ve been able to accomplish that with corrupted tiff files using GraphicConverter.
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 28, 2003
Great! That was easier than a couple of the challenges I’ve faced. I’m glad. Watch the thread, though, to see if we can find out the name of that other program. A lot of people like it for stuff like this when tricks with Elements aren’t successful.

Hmmm. Something like QImage?

Edit: Yup, I found a site for QImage, although you have to buy it. I was thinking it was free. Oh, well.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections