JB
Posted By
John_Bellars
Jan 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve searched the forums and found the same problem posted before and have tried all those suggestions, to no avail.

I’ve re-loaded PS CS2 for the 4th time this week and am getting sick of it. On re-loading it all works fine, but close PS and re-open later, and the beach ball spins when trying to open ANY files.

I’m using X 10.4.8, PSCS2 V9.0.2, and 1gig RAM

Any help would be most appreciated

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Jan 25, 2007
What’s the memory allowance to Photoshop?

Have you trashed your Preferences before re-installing Photoshop? Otherwise you end up right back where you started.

You should try trashing or re-setting your preferences first, it often solves problems without a need to reinstall the application.

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331483.html>
B
Buko
Jan 25, 2007
how much free space on your HD?

can you open files in a new user?
JB
John_Bellars
Jan 26, 2007
What’s the memory allowance to Photoshop? > 70% which equates to 1.4gb as there’s 2gb ram on the machine

how much free space on your HD? >38 gb

You should try trashing or re-setting your preferences first> I try each time but the problem returns.

Will now try this all again, trashing everything on the techdoc list and re-installing – thanks for your suggestions.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Jan 26, 2007
You might also have some bad font files that are giving Photoshop fits… run a font manager that can scan your existing fonts and only activate what is needed (less is more).
R
Ram
Jan 26, 2007
John,

70% which equates to 1.4gb

Not really. It’s 70% of what’s left at any given time AFTER the OS and other running applications or processes have grabbed whatever memory they need. And it changes dynamically, constantly.

That’s just by way of clarification, you should be fine at 70%.

See next post re routine maintenance.
R
Ram
Jan 26, 2007
I still advocate Repairing Permissions before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that’s OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don’t pretend to know why others believe otherwise.

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don’t run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here’s an excerpt from the Apple tech doc <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388>

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.
Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978>

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.
B
Buko
Jan 26, 2007
Again. Do you have this problem in a new user?
JB
John_Bellars
Jan 28, 2007
Everybody – thanks for all your suggestions, which I have taken on board. I ran MacJanitor before and after installation, and rid the machine of all relevant prefs before re-load. I turned off all fonts except machine fonts, and reloaded only necessary fonts.

I’ve just re-opened PS and she works fine, so it must be a combination of fonts, old prefs., and general maintenance. I didn’t try the new user route, which would’ve worked well, because that involves a huge amount of re-setting: I did that only a month ago, so had to work out what was causing these hangs.

So fingers crossed, my problem has a solution, and thank you to all for your help.
B
Buko
Jan 28, 2007
I didn’t try the new user route, which would’ve worked well, because that involves a huge amount of re-setting: I did that only a month ago, so had to work out what was causing these hangs.

John this is a method of trouble shooting you could have saved yourself a lot of reinstalling had you just done this simple task.
R
Ram
Jan 28, 2007
I still advocate Repairing Permissions before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that’s OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don’t pretend to know why others believe otherwise.

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don’t run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here’s an excerpt from the Apple tech doc <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388>

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.
Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978>

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections