B
Posted By
bernadettebuechler
Jul 31, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running Photoshop CS3 extended on an HP desktop XP( fully updated) computer – 2 GB RAM -running fine util tonight when i tried to do a "file>open" the file menu idsappears in a split second and then it locks. It acts the same when i use the keyboard shortcut. But if i reopen it and try to open a file through Bridge-it works fine. it also allows me to open recent files.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John Joslin
Jul 31, 2008
This is a known bug and has been reported many times in the forum.

The solution, weird as it sounds, is to make a generic printer driver your default printer. If you don’t have one, download it here:

< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=p drv&platform=win>

All part of the fascinating world of Photoshop CS3.
B
bernadettebuechler
Jul 31, 2008
Thanks for the quick response but unfortunately it didn’t work. Any other ideas:)
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 31, 2008
I had that once and a system shut-down and new start cured it.
BH
BILL_HUNT
Jul 31, 2008
bernadettebuechler,

Are you allowing enough time for PS to do its "thing?" By that, I mean that since CS, PS loads and looks ready. Count to 5, and all of a sudden, you will see the hourglass up for a moment. Count to 2, and the hourglass will flash on very briefly. Then, it’s ready to go. I’ve only had one PS lockup from ver. 2.5, and it was because I was anxious to go, PS "looked" ready to go, and I hit File>Open too soon. Palettes go white, "Not Responding" shows in the program title bar, and boom – a lockup.

Speculation was afoot, back when Activation began, CS, that PS was "phoning home," to check with Adobe, to see if all was OK. This was never confirmed, and people without an Internet connection still had this little pause, though their program ran fine, without the Internet.

I quickly learned to be patient, until I see the two hourglass "blinks." This is on two very fast systems, though with CS2. My speculation is that the reason that PS will run fine when an image in Bridge, or Windows Explorer launches it, is that you (and I) are not hitting keys, while it does its little hourglass dance. Instead, we’re waiting for our image to Open, and PS is smart enough to not fully load that, until it’s good and ready.

I hope that this is what you encountered and nothing more sinister.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS watch for the two hourglass blinks. First is longer – pause – quick blink – good to go.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 31, 2008
hit ESC next time it hangs on File> Open. then try again. the dialog is off screen.
B
bernadettebuechler
Aug 1, 2008
Wow Dave -that worked!!!! Can’t thank you enough- i was thinking i might have to live with it til the next version came out.

and Hunt i was more than patient. You are lucky not to have any hangups. I never had any from photoshop 6 on til now. this is the only lockup i have had but sometimes when i use the move key,it will suddenly tell me that photoshop needs to close. I try to remember now to save often and to just use my shortcut and the right and left arrows since it never happens with that. Strange!!

thanks everybody!!
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 1, 2008
that worked!!!! Can’t thank you enough-

nah. no problem! 🙂
MM
Melissa_McAvoy
Aug 14, 2008
I had the same problem when I installed dual monitors. I couldn’t drag the box back on screen but i reset the workspace using the window menu option and the open dialogs came back on screen. Thanks for the help on this issue.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections