"unexpected end-of-file was encountered" error window. Cause? Is it repairable?

TG
Posted By
Tom_Garbellotto
Feb 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A document that I had been working on in Photoshop 6 in an OS 9.1 environment won’t open in my new OS 9.1 classic environment.
I haven’t been able to update to 9.2.2 because the 9.2.1 download files on the Apple website seem to be corrupted. I have no idea if that has anything to do with anything, but it opened fine in the native OS 9.1 environment.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks.
Tom

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 27, 2004
Run DiskWarrior because the trouble may be on your HD as I doubt if the file on Apple’s server is actually corrupt — although your download might be.

If that doesn’t fix the .psd file, I fear that it is damaged beyond recall. Do you still have the previous version?
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2004
If you are going to run Classic under OS X, you really, really should be using Mac OS 9.2.2.

This may or may not have been the cause for the damage your file suffered, but an "unexpected end-of-file was encountered" error message usually means a corrupted file.

Try opening it in Image Ready or in Graphic Converter, but your chances of recovering the file are not very good. Hope you had a backup.
TG
Tom_Garbellotto
Feb 27, 2004
It turns out it was damaged during the copying process. I recopied it and it opens fine now. Thank you for your replies! I really appreciate it!
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2004
You must be relieved. Still, update to 9.2.2 as soon as you can.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 28, 2004
I cant tell you how many times I’ve downloaded the 9.2.1 update and got corrupted.

It’s been a nuisance for about a year now.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 29, 2004
I haven’t attempted downloading 9.2.1 recently. But I never had a problem downloading 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 in the past (done that for a bunch of older iMacs over the past couple of years). I doubt that this would remain a corrupted download on the Apple site for long. It might be a problem with your connectivity, particularly if you are using a dialup or perhaps AOL.

Try the download to another computer (via T3, T1, DSL or cable), drag-copy the compressed file to a CD-R; drag-copy that to your other computer, and install.

Neil
TG
Tom_Garbellotto
Feb 29, 2004
Thanks Neil. The problem has already been resolved. A friend gave me a copy of 9.2.2.

Tom
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 29, 2004
Glad to hear that you’re up and running. But (just because you should know for the future), although there is probably no serious consequence here as this is a free download, realize that your friend giving you software this way is, um, probably not permitted by Apple’s software license.

Neil
R
Ram
Feb 29, 2004
The Apple servers have been an absolute mess for the last few weeks. I wouldn’t be surprised if downloads are in fact being corrupted.
TG
Tom_Garbellotto
Mar 1, 2004
That was a suggestion by Apple support.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 1, 2004
Then it’s been officially "blessed".

Neil
MA
Mark_A._Conachan
May 18, 2004
Tom, could you elaborate on this? Are you suggesting there is a way to save an "end-of-file error" corrupted image in some way? (I can go to my backup tapes, but if there’s a desktop solution I’d rather do that.) — Mark
R
Ram
May 18, 2004
Mark,

Tom’s posts in this thread are pretty old, so he may not reply to your inquiry soon. His problem was solved by opening a backup copy, not the one that was returning the error.

An "End of File" error means a corrupted file in 99.999999% of the cases. A very few files like that can open in Graphic Converter, as per post # 2 in this thread. Try that first, then go to your backup tapes. 🙂
TM
Tracy_Meiners
May 20, 2004
I have had a similar problem where I saved a Photoshop Image after editing it in Painshop Pro. When I tried to open it in Photoshop I got an end-of-file error. I was able to open the image with Graphic Converter and saved it as a tiff, but it saved as a flat image. Is there any way to save the file with the layer information?
R
Ram
May 20, 2004
Tracy,

You could try opening it in ImageReady, but generally speaking, you were already very lucky to save such a damage file in any form.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 20, 2004
Just sometimes you can rescue apparently-damaged files by opening them in Illustrator.

You will get a dialog which lets you choose:
"Convert Photoshop layers to objects ……etc.. "

and the layers should be retained.

If that doesn’t work, you can try Placing the .psd file in a new Illustrator document but, in this case, you won’t retain the layers.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections