RN
Posted By
Richard_Noway
Jun 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open jpegs in Photoshop CS that are in portrait and landscape all the jpegs are rotated to landscape!?!
Has anyone encountered the same thing and have you found the cause and solution? I don’t have this problem in Photoshop 7.

Richard

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DJ
dennis_johnson
Jun 14, 2004
What is the source of the JPG files?
L
LenHewitt
Jun 14, 2004
Richard,

From a digital camera, I presume…

Just because you rotated the camera throough 90 degs. to take the photo, doesn’t make it a vertical format image! The camera doesn’t know you had it rotated from its ‘normal’ operating position. It doesn’t have a built-in electronic spirit level that can instruct the camera to write the data rotated by 90 degs.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jun 14, 2004
The camera doesn’t know you had it rotated from its ‘normal’ operating position. It doesn’t have a built-in electronic spirit level that can instruct the camera to write the data rotated by 90 degs.

Actually, Len, some cameras (e.g., the newer Canon PowerShot models) have something like that now. I assume the camera orientation is recorded in the EXIF data (there is provision for an ‘orientation tag’). In the Canon implementation, this information is used during playback (via the camera’s LCD screen or a connected video monitor) to ensure "right-side-up" viewing.

It would be nice if Photoshop used this information to perform the lossless 90-degree transformation as needed — that would make the feature truly useful — but I don’t know that we’re there yet.

Just a side note… probably does not apply to Richard’s situation.

=-= Harron =-=
RN
Richard_Noway
Jun 15, 2004
Hello LenHewit & Harron,

The pictures are originally from a digital camera sent to us by a photographer. We rotated and renamed the pictures with another program (acdsee). I think it’s very strange that Photoshop rotates the pictures. With Photoshop 7 we did not have this problem.

Richard
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jun 15, 2004
Richard,

Just to make sure I understand you…

Are you saying you opened, rotated, and saved the images in question in ACDSee before opening them in Photoshop?

And that PS 7 recognizes the rotation but PS 8 won’t?

If so… just thinking out loud here… What if…

1. PS 7 ignored the orientation tag, but PS 8 doesn’t (i.e., it acts on the tag and autorotates the image as appropriate).

2. ACDSee saves the rotated image without rewriting EXIF data, specifically the orientation tag.

That would explain what you’re observing, but it’s just a theory I can’t prove one way or the other. You might try opening one of the images in question in PS 8 without putting it through ACDSee first. Tell us what happens.

=-= Harron =-=
RN
Richard_Noway
Jun 16, 2004
Harron,

Yes that’s right we rotate the pictures first with ACDSee. When I open an original picture the picture is rotated in the right position. So I think you’re right!

Do you have any idea how to set PS 8 to ignore the orientation tag? We have over 25000 pictures turned with ACDSee, so this could be a big problem for us.

Thanx for your help so far.

Richard
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jun 16, 2004
Richard,

When I open an original picture the picture is rotated in the right position. So I think you’re right!

How about that?

Unfortunately, I’m still at PS 7, so I can’t help you with any features specific to PS 8.

There might well be an option to ignore EXIF data.

PS CS experts will have to jump in here and take over.

Best of luck.

=-= Harron =-=
MN
mark_nuis
Jul 3, 2004
Hi,

I’m experiencing the exact same problems; I’m glad I’m not the only one. I use a Canon 10D. Images are downloaded, then rotated and batch renamed by acdsee. When opening in PS, it opens them all as they originally where, as if acdsee has done nothing with them.

The current workaround that I’m using now is the following: in PS use the File, Browse option, then select the images that need rotating (again-notice how PS ‘ignores’ the rotation done already in acdsee) and rotate them. PS now considers them rotates and acdsee still see them correctly.

I can now finally make those web galleries…
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 4, 2004
Mark – that sounds like ACDSEE only changed their internal view of the images, because Photoshop reads the rotate EXIF tag and rotates the preview to the proper orientation, and rotates the image when opened or when you force the rotate to be applied.
RN
Richard_Noway
Jul 5, 2004
Photoshop 7 did not have this problem.
How can the people at Adobe make a change to the program and not mention this in there user guide? How can I turn this off in Photoshop CS?

Regards, Richard
MN
mark_nuis
Jul 5, 2004
Richard – I agree
D
drmrbrewer
Jul 6, 2004
I am also having this problem. I never expected, when getting my digitial camera, that I would spend more time trying to understand why PS is rotating my images when I don’t want it to than taking pictures.

I also have tried rotating pre-PS with ACDSee, and actually found it worked OK — PS CS didn’t try to rotate again. But the act of rotating in ACDSee lost a lot of my EXIF data (including the Orientation entry) which is perhaps why (I am SOOOOO annoyed that applications like ACDSee are so flippant with EXIF data — what good reason is there to discard EXIF data?).

I also tried irfanview for rotating — that kept all my EXIF including the Orientation field, and I then had problems in PS CS when it rotated again back to horizontal!

So either I lose EXIF data and PS CS works (ACDSee), or I keep EXIF data and PS CS doesn’t (irfanview).

It shouldn’t be this difficult.

I want to take pictures, not fiddle around with a computer!

Mike
K
kevinswan
Jul 8, 2004
Mine is doing it, too. What’s worse? I can correct the rotation in PhotoShop, save it as a new jpeg, open it in preview and it is correct. I open the same file (just saved with pshop) and it’s landscape again!

Something is jacked up with Photoshop. It’s opening all of my jpegs that way.
K
kevinswan
Jul 8, 2004
Here’s something even freakier…

I have a jpeg that should be portrait. I open it in PShop8, it’s landscape. I rotate canvas, save again. I open it in PShop8 and it’s landscape again.

I take that same file, drag it from the folder it’s in to my desktop… it opens in portrait mode in PS8. I change nothing. Just move the file, and it behaves properly. I put it back in the folder (on same harddrive) and it opens in portrait mode.

THIS IS NUTS
D
davelbeck
Aug 2, 2004
I noticed this when I was shooting digital with the Canon A75. There is a setting in the camera called "auto-rotate", i.e. the setting will rotate the image in the camera so you don’t need to turn the camera around to see it oriented properly… however, Photoshop reads this rotate data and does the same thing. (At least that’s what happened to me).

So I turned off the auto-rotate in the playback menu of the camera and then Photoshop didnt’ try to rotate the image. A dumb workaround but a workaround nonetheless. And I experienced the same problem with the Digital Rebel.
MN
mark_nuis
Aug 2, 2004
davelbeck – I’ll try the workaround (same ‘auto-rotate’ option is available on my EOS 10D, however what about the thousand of pictures I already took with the auto-rotate function turned-on? Any idea?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections