MO
Posted By
Mike_O_Sullivan
Oct 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Another problem I hope you kind people could help me with. Worryingly I’ve had a few files recently I suddenly can’t open. Instead, the following message "Could not open C:/Pictures****.jpg because an invalid SOS,DHT, or EOI JPEG marker is found before a JPEG SOI marker"

Is this a "fatal error" or are these files recoverable?

Hoping someone can help please.

Mike

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 4, 2003
Download a copy of Irfanview. I don’t know how much it is, but several Win users on the forum keep it around because it has a couple of strengths not found in Elements. One of those is that it can sometimes open files that appear corrupt to PSE. I don’t think it’s very expensive, and there could even be a demo. On the Mac side we use GraphicConverter for these kinds of things, which is why I don’t know anything about the pricing of Irfanview.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 4, 2003
Hi, Beth. Irfanview is freeware, so no need for a demo.
MO
Mike_O_Sullivan
Oct 4, 2003
Thanks Beth, but I have got Irfanview. A very good value (i.e. free) viewer. However I have exactly the same problem, except Irfanview just says "No preview possible" and the file will not open.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 4, 2003
Eeek! You mean it isn’t perfect?! This is not good news, Mike. I’m sorry; I’m out of ideas.
R
rocket-sauce
Oct 5, 2003
A couple of other free image viewers:

<http://www.xnview.com/>

<http://www.slowview.at/>

Maybe one of them can open the files.

Rob
MO
Mike_O_Sullivan
Oct 5, 2003
Thanks Rob. I’ve tried Slowview, no dice. I’ll look at xnview and report back. Thanks
PA
Patti_Anderson
Oct 5, 2003
I don’t have a fix, but I’ve read somewhere (trying to remember where) that told how to avoid errors of this nature, i.e. invalid jpegs in general. One, be sure you are using Save for Web, not Save As. Two, this problem is "usually" associated when saving jpeg’s as progressive. EOI = end of image and SOI = start of image. Somehow in saving, your start and end markers got scrambled, as it says in your error message. So if it seems to be a recurring problem, uncheck Progressive in the Save for Web dialog.

I did find this shareware, called IT JPEG-Tester. Click on the British flag unless you read Dutch. <http://ingo.troeger.bei.t-online.de/>

No guarantees, but it might be worth a try, especially if you have several jpegs you can’t open.

Patti
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 6, 2003
Same problem here! CompUSA Techs haven’t been able to help. I did download Irfanview and it helped with some but now it even refuses to open lots of files.
I’ll try those mentioned here and keep my fingers crossed. Worse than that, I can’t read disks and have a couple cozen waiting for the magic wand. Haven’t even been able to do backups.
I’ll see if CompUSA can send out a Tech man to check my CD drive. Marty
MO
Mike_O_Sullivan
Oct 6, 2003
Patti, thanks a lot, that’s a very useful response. I certainly will try all of those tips.

Mike, (in the UK)
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 6, 2003
Marty,

What happens when you put a disk in the CD drive? Are you using CD-R or rewrittable disks?

Nancy
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 7, 2003
NANCY,
I gave up on the CD-R’s and went strickly with the CD-RW’s. Now I am left with only the Zip disk and they’re too expensive for regular stuff.
When I put in the CD-RW’s and go to MY COMPUTER to open the disk I get either that it is illegil or corrupted or unable to open….about every message there is and I don’t know what triggers the different ones.
My hard drive is filling up too fast, so I am getting antsy about not being able to "back up".
I will try the new downloads suggested and will even try loading my old ‘Quick View Plus’. Any suggestions would be very welcome!
Marty
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 7, 2003
Marty,

I am wondering why you ‘gave up’ on the CD-Rs, favoring the rewrittables. The consensus seems to be that the CD-Rs are more reliable.

If you have a CD drive and a DVD drive, are you putting the disk you want read back into your CD drive (not the DVD)?

What software are you using to burn the CDs? If you are running WinXp are you using the native burning software or Nero or Easy CD Creator? If you have XP, have you tried using your Administrator account when trying to view the CDs? Are you sure your burns were successful, no indications of buffer underruns? If using the method "disk at once" do you see the program saying "finalizing CD"? Are you having the program validate/test the burn as it finishes? What is your procedure for getting the files onto the CD? Have you looked in Device Manager to discount the possibility of a problem with the drive? When you started having trouble, had you just switched to a different type/brand of CD? Does it seem that you can still burn a CD, though you can’t read one? Will the drive read a CD which you purchased, not made? Does the drive show a CD in the drive?

Though it seems like a lot of questions, I don’t think anyone can help you find a solution without knowing more facts. There is definitely a reason this is happening, it is just a matter of pinning it down.

Nancy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 7, 2003
Marty, I don’t want to scare you but….I just had my first failure of a CD-RW; it will no longer write. Fortunately, I was able to read it to back up its contents – to a CD-R. I’ll not use CD-RW again for anything important….which I guess means I won’t use them again at all.
PL
Paul_L_UK
Oct 7, 2003
One thing I found in XP was with CDRW, it can add to and format, but cannot amend. You have to go into the drives properties and disble writing, then use your 3rd party software(Roxio/Nero/etc)

Paul
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 7, 2003
PAUL & CHUCK,
I’d heard that about the CD-RWs but had no other choice. NANCY, I couldn’t get any of the CD-Rs to either record on, OR read from. Thanks for all the Check List items. It’s encouraging to know I can at least check off all those; however, I might not understand some.
I intend to make this a priority for the next week or so. It’s been going on for months so definitely time to end.
Thanks Paul, Chuck and again, Nancy.
Marty
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 7, 2003
Marty,

If you installed burning software, like Nero or Easy CD Creator, I’d try just uninstalling it and reinstalling.

Nancy
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 7, 2003
NANCY,
I have installed both xview and slowview, but haven’t tried them. I have the new CD "Roxio Easy CD & DVD CREATOR" and will install that.
Nero was on this computer when I got it so I am not sure I have the disk. I didn’t get the DVD burner, just the CD/CD-RW.
So…. now I’ll install roxio and try it out.
Oh yes, I had a little problem last year and someone suggested downloading Irfanview, which is odd….some of my pictures have the Irfan red devil icon and others have the PSE icon. Some open and some do not.
Marty
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 7, 2003
Marty,

Ah, I see…you have tons of image viewers. Maybe you’d be best off always right clicking an image file and choosing "open with" and scrolling the list to find the program you wish to open it with.
R
rocket-sauce
Oct 8, 2003
Quote:some of my pictures have the Irfan red devil icon and others have the PSE icon.
Red devil? I think it’s a dog that’s been run over by a truck…or maybe a cat.

Anyway, in Options/Properties/Extensions you can select which image/media formats for which you want IrfanView to be the default viewer/player.

Rob
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 8, 2003
Definitely a truck…

….being run over by a cat wouldn’t flatten a dog so severely.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 8, 2003
Sitting here at the breakfast table reading this – hubby wanting to know why I was laughing so hard, Byron! 🙂
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 8, 2003
ROCKET SAUCE,
I went to options, properties, extensions…but only saw a list of initial extensions. Where do I find the character figures, this darn devil is giving me a bad conscience.
Marty
PA
Patti_Anderson
Oct 9, 2003
I’m not Rocket Sauce, but I know the answer…Click on the Miscellaneous button on same Extensions tab. Maybe you’d prefer a teddy bear, smiley or bikini cleavage rather than the *red roadkill*?. LOL

🙂
Patti
DM
Denise_Maykrantz
Apr 1, 2004
I downloaded iview from the www.irfanview.com website. It can read all of the jpgs that album and elements could not read. Unfortunately, in most cases the pictures are damaged (lines across the middle). I think that was from saving them onto cd-rws….So never use CD-RWs and use irfanview whenever you have an unreadable media file.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections