Posted By
Michael_Brady
Oct 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Mac OSX.3.9 PSCS2

All of a sudden, PSCS2, which I have been using for more than a year, decides not to open. When I try to launch it–either by clicking its icon in the Mac Dock or double-clicking on a PSD file–PS goes all the way through the launch routine, showing the splash screen with all the little feedback messages flickering in it, then loads the palettes and all the paraphernalia of the working space, and then gives me *two* messages in overlapping alert boxes.

In the front alert box:

"An unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occurred. Photoshop will now exit."

And behind it in another box:

"An unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occurred because something prevented the text engine from being initialized. Photoshop will now exit."

I have thrown away the Prefs file several times, along with Color Settings.csf and Recently Used Optimizations irt.

I am perplexed. Got any ideas, short of reinstalling the program?

Thank you.

Michael Brady

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Oct 17, 2006
Does it work if you create a new account and log in as a different user?
RR
Reed_Reed
Oct 17, 2006
Michael,

What font management are you using? Did you add a new font during the last session that Photoshop worked?
MB
Michael_Brady
Oct 17, 2006
PSCS2 suddenly refuses to open

On Oct 17, 2006, at 8:50 AM, Reed Reed wrote:

What font management are you using? Did you add a new font during the last session that Photoshop worked?

Nope. Same as the day before–for the year before, for that matter.

And I haven’t logged in as my alter ego yet, so I can’t respond about that. And now I’m in another building at another computer where PSCS2 actually works, so I’ll have to try it later.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady
www.michaelbradydesign.com
TH
Thomas_Hackett
Oct 17, 2006
G5; 10.4.8; Font Reserve; CS2 fully updated; same exact freakin’ problem. Ran Font Finagler several times. When I log in as another user, Photoshop launches fine. Help me out! 😉

Thanks.
RR
Reed_Reed
Oct 17, 2006
Thomas,

Not 100% guaranteed, but pretty close –

1. Download the 10.4.8 Combo updater if you don’t already have it.

2. Repair permissions.

3. Using your OS X 10.4 install disks, do an Archive and Restore.

4. Repair permissions.

6. Update to 10.4.8 via the combo updater.

6. Repair permissions.

7. You should be good to go, even with your previoisly problem account.
AB
Anne_Bellenger
Oct 19, 2006
I have the same problem only mine happens after reinstalling PS-CS2 on 2 Macs (10.4) and reinstalling PS-CS on a 3rd Mac. Can’t get past the splash screen. Can’t find help amywhere on the Adobe site after looking for 3 hours. Need to process photos soon.
R
Ram
Oct 19, 2006
Did you try Reed’s suggestions in #5?
MB
Michael_Brady
Oct 19, 2006
I removed an old, phantom Font Reserve start-up file (I’m using Linotype’s FontExplorer), but I still got the same errors. I forgot to log in under another account.

I just deinstalled and then reinstalled PSCS2 from the CD. Now it works.

Sheesh<

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Michael Brady
www.michaelbradydesign.com
AB
Anne_Bellenger
Oct 19, 2006
Where would I find permissions?
I looked for PS Prefs and couldn’t find them either. They used to be in the Systems folder under OS9 and PS7. I can’t find much of anything in CS2 and CS.
Also where is the Font Reserve startup file?

I don’t use fonts much except for typing the copyright. I use PS for processing photos and only use 2-3 fonts for the copyright.
R
Ram
Oct 19, 2006
Anne,

You don’t "find" permissions. 🙂 You Repair Permissions with Apple’s Disk Utility.

As for Prefs:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331483.html>
R
Ram
Oct 19, 2006
You wouldn’t have Font Reserve files unless you bought and installed Font Reserve yourself.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections