BE
Posted By
Bill_E_Cook
May 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using photoshop 7.0 and have received a lot of tiff files. When I open them they are not much bigger than thumbnail size. If I expand they they loose their quality. How do I convert them so that I get a good quality screen size picture.
Bill

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

H
Ho
May 13, 2005
What are the pixel dimensions of the images as reported in Image>Image Size?
BE
Bill_E_Cook
May 13, 2005
Pixel Dimensions 162k
width 288
hight 192
BE
Bill_E_Cook
May 13, 2005
the size of the picture file on the cd is 10.5MB
H
Ho
May 13, 2005
Well, that’s pretty much a thumbnail. A full screen size image would be 800×600 or larger. Upsampling images tends to soften them, and the larger you make them, the softer they get. Depending on your quality requirements, you may or may not be able to get where you want to go with the images you have.

Try resampling in steps, say 110% or 125% at a time and keep doing that until you reach the pixel dimensions you’re after. Apply a little sharpening at that point. Maybe you’ll like what you see…

Good luck.

EDIT: You said: the size of the picture file on the cd is 10.5MB

Something here does not make sense. That size file should produce much larger images in terms of pixel dimensions. Obviously, I’m missing something.
BE
Bill_E_Cook
May 13, 2005
Well the person that sends them to me can produce high quality full dimension photos with them. His explanation is that he converts them. His explanation is that he uses a cs plugin but i can’t find such a thing.
Bill
B
BobLevine
May 13, 2005
There’s no way that an image which is effectively less than one inch square at 300 ppi is going to be 10 megabytes.

There’s something not right here.

Bob
BE
Bill_E_Cook
May 13, 2005
Well I know that these are good quality images but I think I need to convert them from their raw format
J
Jim
May 13, 2005
wrote in message
Pixel Dimensions 162k
width 288
hight 192
These dimensions are the source of your problem. You will not be able to make decent prints from them no matter what you do.
Jim.
JJ
John Joslin
May 13, 2005
Wasn’t there a Kodak PhotoCD format which scored the files at 3 or 4 different resolutions and you needed a Kodak program to unpack them?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 13, 2005
How were these files created?

If they came from an older digital camera that stored RAW files with a .TIF extension – that would explain it. And you’ll need software from the camera maker, or Photoshop CS or CS2 to open the file correctly.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections