C
Posted By
Cinnygal
Jun 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For those of you that have seen this question before and answered it over and over again, forgive me. But I just got a new computer and am looking for a monitor for it. I’ve done lots of research on the net and it LOOKS like photoshop users like the LaCie electron19blueIV crt monitor, for the price. Most people say crt monitors are better for photoshop use but reviewers seem to be spending more time looking at the LCD monitors now, rather than crt. So it’s hard finding updated reviews specifically for graphic use. (And anything good for photoshop use should also be good for online gaming, or am I wrong?)

Anyway, to make a long story short, what monitor have you all found to be the best in the price range of $200 to $700?? We’ve always had viewsonic in the past, but I am not sure they are the best anymore.

I sure appreciate your input.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

H
Hecate
Jun 3, 2005
On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:58:02 GMT, "Cinnygal"
wrote:

For those of you that have seen this question before and answered it over and over again, forgive me. But I just got a new computer and am looking for a monitor for it. I’ve done lots of research on the net and it LOOKS like photoshop users like the LaCie electron19blueIV crt monitor, for the price. Most people say crt monitors are better for photoshop use but reviewers seem to be spending more time looking at the LCD monitors now, rather than crt. So it’s hard finding updated reviews specifically for graphic use. (And anything good for photoshop use should also be good for online gaming, or am I wrong?)

Anyway, to make a long story short, what monitor have you all found to be the best in the price range of $200 to $700?? We’ve always had viewsonic in the past, but I am not sure they are the best anymore.

I sure appreciate your input.
Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454 19" for CRT. But hurry, because a number of manufacturers are ceasing production of CRTs this summer. If you want something bigger then the La Cie electron22blueIV CRT.

If you want LCD, then for Photoshop you need a good quality monitor like the Eizo L768. But that’s out of your price range probably.

And no, good for Photoshop is not usually good for games. A good LCD for gaming will have a fast response time to prevent ghosting. A good LCD for Photoshop will have different properties. Whilst not mutually exclusive in LCD, the only monitors currently which are good for both are CRTs.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
S
Stephan
Jun 4, 2005
Hecate wrote:

Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454 19" for CRT. But hurry, because a number of manufacturers are ceasing production of CRTs this summer. If you want something bigger then the La Cie electron22blueIV CRT.
If you want LCD, then for Photoshop you need a good quality monitor like the Eizo L768. But that’s out of your price range probably.
And no, good for Photoshop is not usually good for games. A good LCD for gaming will have a fast response time to prevent ghosting. A good LCD for Photoshop will have different properties. Whilst not mutually exclusive in LCD, the only monitors currently which are good for both are CRTs.

Are you finally getting paid by theses guys? 😉

Stephan
H
Hecate
Jun 4, 2005
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 00:00:45 GMT, Stephan wrote:

Hecate wrote:

Are you finally getting paid by theses guys? 😉
LOL! I should be 😉 Eizo as well as Iiyama 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

J
jcworsley
Jun 17, 2005
Hey Hecate, thanks for the advice here. I’ve actually been looking at the LaCie electron22blueIV (or possibly the electron19blueIV). I noticed they have reconditioned monitors for half the retail price posted on their website under the clearance area (with an appropriately paltry 90 day warranty).

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding how reliable and what level of quality these reconditioned monitors are?
MM
Muddy_Muddle-Mumbler
Jun 17, 2005
On 17 Jun 2005 02:32:51 -0700, "John C. Worsley" wrote:

Hey Hecate, thanks for the advice here. I’ve actually been looking at the LaCie electron22blueIV (or possibly the electron19blueIV).

I got that and its wonderful. Probably the nicest monitor I have ever had. Mine was brand new so i cant help you on reconditioned. If you have the cash for new, I say, go for it
J
jcworsley
Jun 17, 2005
Thanks very much. Did you purchase the 22 or 19? And do you use any color calibration tools? I note that LaCie has their own thing called a Blue Eye but I’ve heard better things about the Gretag Macbeth Eye-One system.
MM
Muddy_Muddle-Mumbler
Jun 17, 2005
On 17 Jun 2005 06:39:25 -0700, "John C. Worsley" wrote:

Thanks very much. Did you purchase the 22 or 19?

19 but it immediately made me want the 21. Haha

still, i’ve got the LaCie on the left, and a 19" viewsonic on the right for all the tools and the pallettes, so i’m good.

the LaCie is a serious high-resolution monitor. You’ll notice dramatic differences immediately. Sharpness of text etc

And do you use any
color calibration tools?

yah i use Monaco. However, its useless for printer calibration, or, very very difficult to do, and I have heard the GreTag is the one to get but its not cheap.

I didnt try Blue Eye but i did compare Monaco profile to an Adobe Gamma generated profile and the Monaco seemed to me, to generate a more neutral gray so I went with that.
H
Hecate
Jun 18, 2005
On 17 Jun 2005 06:39:25 -0700, "John C. Worsley" wrote:

Thanks very much. Did you purchase the 22 or 19? And do you use any color calibration tools? I note that LaCie has their own thing called a Blue Eye but I’ve heard better things about the Gretag Macbeth Eye-One system.

Buy it new. Things is, CRTs have a more limited life span that LCDs and you don’t know how old the monitor is.

And yes, Gretag MacBeth is, IMHO, the best. You can get their EyeOne Display for a reasonable amount which will properly correct your monitor and nothing else. But, the monitor is the most important thing to get right. If you’re not a professional, then you can probably live with the canned printer profiles.

Hecate – The Real One

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections