YD
Posted By
yodel_dodel
Aug 21, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m in the market for a new monitor. I used to believe that TFT monitors are no good for graphic and color sensitive work, but I hear that’s no longer true. True?

I have not done much research yet – forgive me if my questions sound naive.

My requirements:

I put photos on the net. I want a monitor that allows me to adjust the color, brightness, and contrast of my images without bias, such that the result looks acceptable on the widest range of monitors possible.

I guess, monitor speed is not my top criterion, I don’t play games and don’t watch videos much.

My budget is limited, and I’d like to view my photos the same way as the majority of people who visit my web sites. Hence, I would think that 17", 1280×1024 is enough, unless somebody convinces me of a reason why I should have more.

I see that the contrast values of new TFTs range between 500:1 and 1000:1, and the brightness values between 250 and 300 cd/m² (whatever that means).

Well, what does it mean?
What values do I need to look for?
Are these values meaningful for comparison anyway?

Al opinions as well as links to articles are highly appreciated. Thanks.

Gregor’s Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

H
Hecate
Aug 22, 2005
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:08:19 +0200, "Greg N." wrote:

I’m in the market for a new monitor. I used to believe that TFT monitors are no good for graphic and color sensitive work, but I hear that’s no longer true. True?

It’s only no longer true if you have money to spend on an Eizo or comparable colour accurate model.

I have not done much research yet – forgive me if my questions sound naive.
My requirements:

I put photos on the net. I want a monitor that allows me to adjust the color, brightness, and contrast of my images without bias, such that the result looks acceptable on the widest range of monitors possible.

As neither most monitors or any browsers (there is one possibility on Apple but it’s not generally used) have no colour management whatever, you’ll get a different result on different monitors. The b3est you can do is keep monitor-based images in sRGB and cross your fingers…

I guess, monitor speed is not my top criterion, I don’t play games and don’t watch videos much.

My budget is limited, and I’d like to view my photos the same way as the majority of people who visit my web sites. Hence, I would think that 17", 1280×1024 is enough, unless somebody convinces me of a reason why I should have more.

Most people still have CRT monitors.

I see that the contrast values of new TFTs range between 500:1 and 1000:1, and the brightness values between 250 and 300 cd/m² (whatever that means).

Well, what does it mean?
What values do I need to look for?
Are these values meaningful for comparison anyway?

Simply put, it means the range of black to white the monitor can display and is irrelevant for pictures you’re putting on the net. —

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections