SW
Posted By
Steven Wandy
Aug 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using PS for several years (currently using PSCS). Just purchased a Monaco Optix bundle to do my calibrations and profiling. Created a monitor calibration using the Optix. Video Card driver shows the ICC profile as the default. When in go into Control Panel (Windows XP Pro) and click on the Adobe Gamma icon the proper ICC profile that I created shows in the box BUT it shows the white point as 5000 K (warm white) while the profile was created for 6500 K (daylight). According to Monaco’s website Photoshop uses this setting (shown in Adobe Gamma). Any ideas on why the change in white point? Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

H
Hecate
Aug 10, 2004
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 15:30:50 GMT, "Steven Wandy" wrote:

I have been using PS for several years (currently using PSCS). Just purchased a Monaco Optix bundle to do my calibrations and profiling. Created a monitor calibration using the Optix. Video Card driver shows the ICC profile as the default. When in go into Control Panel (Windows XP Pro) and click on the Adobe Gamma icon the proper ICC profile that I created shows in the box BUT it shows the white point as 5000 K (warm white) while the profile was created for 6500 K (daylight). According to Monaco’s website Photoshop uses this setting (shown in Adobe Gamma). Any ideas on why the change in white point? Thanks
Calibrate with Monaco. Or calibrate with Gamma. Don’t do both.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
SW
Steven Wandy
Aug 10, 2004
I have been using PS for several years (currently using PSCS). Just purchased a Monaco Optix bundle to do my calibrations and profiling. Created a monitor calibration using the Optix. Video Card driver shows
the
ICC profile as the default. When in go into Control Panel (Windows XP
Pro)
and click on the Adobe Gamma icon the proper ICC profile that I created shows in the box BUT it shows the white point as 5000 K (warm white)
while
the profile was created for 6500 K (daylight). According to Monaco’s
website
Photoshop uses this setting (shown in Adobe Gamma). Any ideas on why the change in white point? Thanks
I never said I did both or used both or loaded both. Only the Monaco loader is in my Startup Folder. Only the profile made by Monaco is loaded by my video card’s driver setup. What I said is I had read in a different newsgroup post that PS reads it’s information from Adobe Gamma – even if it is not being utilized to load the gamma settings – and when I clicked on the Adobe Gamma icon in Control Panel the aforementioned information with regard to white point was shown.
MR
Mike Russell
Aug 10, 2004
Steven Wandy wrote:
I never said I did both or used both or loaded both. Only the Monaco loader is in my Startup Folder. Only the profile made by Monaco is loaded by my video card’s driver setup. What I said is I had read in a different newsgroup post that PS reads it’s information from Adobe Gamma – even if it is not being utilized to load the gamma settings – and when I clicked on the Adobe Gamma icon in Control Panel the aforementioned information with regard to white point was shown.

Not many people will follow up on a thread where the poster starts biting the hand that’s feeding him.

Except der Curvemeister, that is 🙂

I think you’ll find what you’re looking for here:
Excerpt:
Photoshop uses the last profile saved in the Adobe Gamma Control Panel. Other applications may use the profile associated with the monitor in the Display Control Panel.

Full text: http://www.monacosys.com/AdobeGammaSetup.pdf

I’m wrong, bring it on.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
H
Hecate
Aug 11, 2004
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 03:45:11 GMT, "Steven Wandy" wrote:

I have been using PS for several years (currently using PSCS). Just purchased a Monaco Optix bundle to do my calibrations and profiling. Created a monitor calibration using the Optix. Video Card driver shows
the
ICC profile as the default. When in go into Control Panel (Windows XP
Pro)
and click on the Adobe Gamma icon the proper ICC profile that I created shows in the box BUT it shows the white point as 5000 K (warm white)
while
the profile was created for 6500 K (daylight). According to Monaco’s
website
Photoshop uses this setting (shown in Adobe Gamma). Any ideas on why the change in white point? Thanks
If you’ve used Gamma before, it will have created a profile. presumably you told PS to use that profile. If you have used Monaco, that will create a profile. If you don’t tell PS which profile to use it will use the one that you last told it to use.

Gamma is always likely to show you something different because it’s only an approximation based on you eyeballing some squares and deciding which is correct.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
SW
Steven Wandy
Aug 11, 2004
Not many people will follow up on a thread where the poster starts biting the hand that’s feeding him.
I appreciate the advice given here but the previous poster did not even bother to read what I wrote in my original post. I never said I was loading both. My question was about why the settings shown in the Adobe gamma aplet in Windows Control Panel showed a different color temperature than I chose when I used Monaco.
SW
Steven Wandy
Aug 11, 2004
If you don’t tell PS which profile to use it will use the one that you
last told it to use.

Thanks for that explaination but where in PSCS do you "tell" it which to use? I checked all over Color Settings but the only answer I could find on the web is the article on Monaco’s website that Mike Russell also refered to. I can see where you choose a profile for "soft proofing" but not where to tell PSCS which monitor profile to use.
FB
Frederic Banaszak
Aug 11, 2004
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 04:11:38 GMT, "Mike Russell" wrote:

Except der Curvemeister, that is 🙂

You’re such a glutton for punishment. 🙂
H
Hecate
Aug 12, 2004
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 01:17:43 GMT, "Steven Wandy" wrote:

If you don’t tell PS which profile to use it will use the one that you
last told it to use.

Thanks for that explaination but where in PSCS do you "tell" it which to use? I checked all over Color Settings but the only answer I could find on the web is the article on Monaco’s website that Mike Russell also refered to. I can see where you choose a profile for "soft proofing" but not where to tell PSCS which monitor profile to use.
Sorry, I wasn’t being very lucid. You create a colour profile with Gamma, and it gets saved and then used by PS automatically. When you create another profile with a spider/calibrator of some sort, it should be saved and then used automatically by PS. I think that the problem is likely to be, if your source is correct, that when there is more than one profile PS uses the Gamma one. So, you would need to delete the profile created by Gamma to ensure that the new one is used by Photoshop.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
SW
Steven Wandy
Aug 12, 2004
Sorry, I wasn’t being very lucid.
That’s OK, I appreciate the help.

When I go into Window’s Control Panel and click in the Adobe Gamma applet (again, Adobe Gamma is not loading at Windows startup) it shows that is is recognizing the newest profile – the one created with Monaco Optix. But when it shows the setting it has the White Point at 5000 K (warm white). This not what I selected when I made the profile (choose 6500). If I tell Adobe Gamma to change it it asks to save the profile, thereby over-writing the created profile that is used by Monaco’s Monacogamma program and my video card driver. So what I am wondering is even if PSCS is reading the profile listed in Adobe Gamma, is it reading the White Point correctly or not?
H
Hecate
Aug 12, 2004
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:37:30 GMT, "Steven Wandy" wrote:

Sorry, I wasn’t being very lucid.
That’s OK, I appreciate the help.

When I go into Window’s Control Panel and click in the Adobe Gamma applet (again, Adobe Gamma is not loading at Windows startup) it shows that is is recognizing the newest profile – the one created with Monaco Optix. But when it shows the setting it has the White Point at 5000 K (warm white). This not what I selected when I made the profile (choose 6500). If I tell Adobe Gamma to change it it asks to save the profile, thereby over-writing the created profile that is used by Monaco’s Monacogamma program and my video card driver. So what I am wondering is even if PSCS is reading the profile listed in Adobe Gamma, is it reading the White Point correctly or not?
Ok, got you. Disregard whatever Gamma tells you – it didn’t make the profile. If you made the profile with the Monaco and gave it a white point of 6500, then that is what it will have set. Gamma is better than nothing, but it’s not accurate. It can’t be because it has no way of measuring the screen output.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
R
Roberto
Aug 13, 2004
in article , Hecate at
wrote on 08/12/2004 4:51 PM:

Ok, got you. Disregard whatever I tell you – I don’t know how to make the profile.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

About time you admitted as much.
SW
Steven Wandy
Aug 13, 2004
Disregard whatever Gamma tells you – it didn’t make the
profile.

That’s what I thought, but just wanted it confirmed by someone who had been using profiles.
Thanks
H
Hecate
Aug 14, 2004
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:08:08 -0700, Branko Vukelic
wrote:

in article , Hecate at
wrote on 08/12/2004 4:51 PM:

Ok, got you. Disregard whatever I tell you – I don’t know how to make the profile.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

About time you admitted as much.
Boring, boring. Not only are you a poor imitation of Branko, you’re also a poor imitation of a human being.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections