OG
Posted By
ORLANDO_GONDAR
Feb 17, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As many of you know Circuit City is closing, so I grab a LG 22 inch LCD Monitor with a good discount.

However……….

It is a big differences between a CRT and a LCD, this monitor comes with a program named "ForteManager" that to me is no better than my Video Card "Catalyst" software.

The question both of this programs create they own profile but I guess they are just for them because they dont
show on my Photoshop CS3 List of Profiles.

Then how to tell Photosho about the current setup or just use photoshop without any profile ?

( We talking about profiles like sRGB Color Space Profile.icm )

Thanks…..

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BL
Bob Levine
Feb 17, 2009
Two things come to mind…I would never buy anything at a going out of business sale because you have no recourse with the sell.

Now…your monitor is indeed very different than a CRT but the first thing you need to keep in mind is the requirement that you use its native resolution. For most 22" monitors that’s 1680×1050.

If you have a newer video card that should be no problem, but for an older one it may well present an issue.

Get that straightened out first and then worry about the color calibration.

Bob
OG
ORLANDO_GONDAR
Feb 17, 2009
Two things come to mind…I would never buy anything at a going out of business sale because you have no recourse with the sell.

No problem with me, the Dell ( Sony Trinitro ) 21 inches that now become my wife’s monitor cost me only $10 bucks. From a local newspaper company.

For most 22" monitors that’s 1680×1050. What this have to do with profiles ?

If you have a newer video card that should be no problem but for an older one it may well present an issue.

My Ati is connected using the DVI-I connector.

Get that straightened out first and then worry about Get what straightened out ?

Thanks
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 17, 2009
off topic as the OP already bought, but for others,

circut city has been notroious about marking up then claiming "sale" prices in which the "sale" price is actually higher than the original. it pays to shop around.

< http://consumerist.com/search/circuit+city+sale/byrelevance/ ?timerange=month>
OG
ORLANDO_GONDAR
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks Dave, I know what you meant, the trying to sale the Digital Converter Box that you normally can buy for $40 bucks or around that, for $40 something AFTER DISCOUNT !

But forget about that, the question is that I dont see anywere any indications on the Video Card software, nor the LCD
Software, that after setting up a monitor, it will write a profile….. that’s the reason I post the question.

Maybe I am making a mistake ( will see ) but I decided to go for the Spider2Express, I willing to take chances for less than $100 bucks……..

Thanks for posting……..

( Sorry for taking so long to comeback here but we had
plenty customers this last week )

Chao
F
Freeagent
Feb 20, 2009
The Spyder will do fine. You won’t see it in Photoshop; it will just hide under the generic "Monitor RGB" there (…but don’t set it as your working space! Some people do that. Just leave it alone).

If you look in Vista however, it should be set as default for your monitor (Control panel > color management).
OG
ORLANDO_GONDAR
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks Freeagent, I was searching around on the net, when I noticed your post, now I had found some posts that even get you more confuse !

Take a look at this: ( Some post I was reading )

Hi All, I recently purchased the Spyder express 2 to calibrate my lcd correctly. Regarding the profile which was created how now do I use this in Photoshop?
At the moment In the "color setting" menu I have the photoshop working space RGB set to "Monitor RGB – Spyder2express"
When I open an image I get a profile mismatch and photoshop asks me if I want to convert the profile of the photo from Embedded – sRGB IEC61966-2.1 to Working: Monitor RGB – Spyder2express.
Now heres where im confused………….

Now the other person responds with…….

You want to switch your color space to either sRGB or
Adobe RGB. Don’t use the Monitor RGB.

Is that’s correct, somone could just use a know calibrated picture for testing and set the monitor to "close to perfect" ( Will not be perfect some not all eyes see the same )

On other places I read that now Photoshop on some cases
include ( bundle ) the Spyder2Express……

See what I mean, I getting all kinds of Positive &
Negative inputs ob this matter !

1000000 of thanks.
F
Freeagent
Feb 20, 2009
You want to switch your color space to either sRGB or Adobe RGB. Don’t use the Monitor RGB.

This is correct, and essentially the same as what I said. Use sRGB or AdobeRGB as your working space. Monitor RGB is just for special purposes (like posting screenshots on the web).

The Spyder will take care of itself. Fire it up, and it will install the monitor profile in the correct place. From then on, that profile will be more or less invisible to you, but doing what it should (although you can see it kick in on computer startup).

Is that’s correct, somone could just use a know calibrated picture for testing and set the monitor to "close to perfect"

This is what calibrators are for. You’ll never be able to get it 100% right by eye.

There’s no inclusion or bundling of any calibrators with Photoshop. Up to CS2 there was something called Adobe Gamma, but it wasn’t very accurate (because you had to do it by eye) and it’s been discontinued.
DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 20, 2009
circut city has been notroious about marking up then claiming "sale" prices in which the "sale" price is actually higher than the original.

Gee, you wonder how a company can stay in business pulling stuff like that.

Oh, wait a sec …
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 20, 2009
from what i’ve read, it’s not them, it’s the liquidator – the company hired to liquidate the inventory. they pay CC a fixed fee then sell everything for whatever they can. they don’t care if they sucker you into something. they’re in it for the biggest bang for the buck. the more money they make over the fixed fee they paid to CC, the better for them.

that’s standard operating procedure for those types of companies.
BL
Bill_Lamp
Feb 20, 2009
I bought from them:

2 each 4-packs Lithium AA batteries for $3 each off real price.

1 750 gig Firewire external drive for back-ups at $25 off real price.

Real price is what the same thing sells for at other stores.

I looked at a few other things and turned up my nose at the prices.
OG
ORLANDO_GONDAR
Feb 25, 2009
I have check around and I did save about $40-$60 on this LG Monitor ( W2252QT-TF ) I already when to LG and downloaded its Service Manual in case one day I need it.

However I was showing my wife, that seens they increase the prices as they get close to last day.
They see people coming and they trying to take advantage of that.

I also received today my "Spyder" the dam thing did very good !

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections