J
Posted By
Jasper
Jun 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just upgraded all of the way from 6 to 8 (CS). Where is my faithful air brush? It’s not even in the Help files or the manual from what I can see. I constantly use it in masking.

Thanks, Jasper

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BN
Brooklyn NYC USA
Jun 28, 2004
"Jasper" wrote in message
I have just upgraded all of the way from 6 to 8 (CS). Where is my faithful air brush? It’s not even in the Help files or the manual from what I can see. I constantly use it in masking.

Thanks, Jasper

The airbrush moved from the toolbar and now appears in the bursh options bar. Now you simple shcoose airbrush as a style and select how you want it to work from the brush palette.
N
noone
Jun 28, 2004
In article <GJZDc.6623$
says…

Thanks, Jasper

It is now on the Toolbar, when the Brush Tool is selected. It moved there in v7. It doesn’t quite work as nicely as my old v3-6 Airbrush did, but that is probably because I was used to it working one way, and now it is slightly different. I have managed to do about everything I used to do, though it seems now to take me a bit more work. By the way, the Airbrush on the Toolbar toggles so it is on/off. Play with it, and let me know what you think. Now, it probably behaves more like a real airbrush, but I can’t seem to get it to do the very soft masking that I used to get in QuickMask mode. I end up using Gaussian Blur on the mask much more often.

Hunt
GP
Gene Palmiter
Jun 28, 2004
Its even better now as lots of things can have an airbrush effect.

Thanks, Jasper

BN
Brooklyn NYC USA
Jun 28, 2004
"Gene Palmiter" wrote in message

I have just upgraded all of the way from 6 to 8 (CS). Where is my
faithful
air brush? It’s not even in the Help files or the manual from what I can see. I constantly use it in masking.

Thanks, Jasper

May I suggest a great book –> "Photoshop CS A-Z: The Essential Visual Reference" by Peter Bargh. It covers everything from ver 3 to CS. Excellent companion.
J
Jasper
Jun 29, 2004
Thanks folks for the quick info to get me going for now.

Purchasing this was a long-thought-out decision but made on the spur of the moment in the end. I will certainly be getting some sort of book — or two. πŸ˜‰

Yes, I am finding that the brushes work differently. Opacity seems to require different settings, for example.

John

faithful
air brush? It’s not even in the Help files or the manual from what I can see. I constantly use it in masking.

Thanks, Jasper

NE
no_email
Jun 29, 2004
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:06:30 -0400, "Jasper"
wrote:

Purchasing this was a long-thought-out decision but made on the spur of the moment in the end. I will certainly be getting some sort of book — or two. πŸ˜‰

Yes, I am finding that the brushes work differently. Opacity seems to require different settings, for example.

John

faithful

Thanks, Jasper

None of this stuff is covered in the manual??
J
Jasper
Jun 29, 2004
"ZONED!" wrote in message
wrote:

Purchasing this was a long-thought-out decision but made on the spur of
the
moment in the end. I will certainly be getting some sort of book — or
two.
πŸ˜‰

John

faithful
air brush? It’s not even in the Help files or the manual from what I
can
see. I constantly use it in masking.

Thanks, Jasper

No doubt it is, but air brush wasn’t in the index for sure (well who knows — it may have been under b rather than a), and I was sort of in the middle of a project and had a number of chores on the go at the same time, so I asked a quick question and got enough of an answer to tide me over for the time being. I will curl up with the manual when I can breathe a bit. In some ways it may seem like an odd time to make a switch, but I have already found the Shadows/Highlight adjustment helpful, so I’m not sorry that I did.
BN
Brooklyn NYC USA
Jun 29, 2004
Air brush is actually one word

wrote:

the
two.
πŸ˜‰

John

faithful
can

Thanks, Jasper

N
noone
Jun 30, 2004
In article <zSgEc.75512$
says…
wrote:

the
two.
πŸ˜‰

John

faithful
can

Thanks, Jasper

No doubt it is, but air brush wasn’t in the index for sure (well who knows — it may have been under b rather than a), and I was sort of in the middle of a project and had a number of chores on the go at the same time, so I asked a quick question and got enough of an answer to tide me over for the time being. I will curl up with the manual when I can breathe a bit. In some ways it may seem like an odd time to make a switch, but I have already found the Shadows/Highlight adjustment helpful, so I’m not sorry that I did.

For the last few ittertion of the PS manual, a lot has been omitted. Adobe assumes that everything important can be, and is, covered in the Online Help files. Trouble is, you have to know the exact conventions used to be able to use it effectively and quickly – case in point "it may have been under b rather than a). When one is on deadline, trying to navigate the Help files is not as easy as having a printed reference on hand and open to the subject. That is usually why I have at least one copy of the previous ver on the machine, so I can complete the work, then spend time over a few glasses of wine, learning the new ver. CS was the first new ver that I pressed into service out of the box, and kept saying a "thank you Adobe," when most of the interface worked like 7 did. Years ago, I had Layers on my newest ver 4?, but didn’t get to them until I had completed three major projects. Now, each of those would have benefitted greatly from Layers, but there was just not time to explore and learn – it was all DO! Besides, the Upgrade CS Premium (or whatever it’s officially named) does not ship with manuals. They are available for an additional purchase of ~US$ 60. To paraphrase almost everything in the PS CS manual – "See Help Files… "

For books (especially for the photographer using Photoshop), I’d also recommend Ben Willmore’s "Photoshop CS Studio Techniques," Adobe Press.

Hunt
GP
Gary Prince
Jul 9, 2004
HELP IS FOR THOSE THAT HELP THEMSELEVES!!!

1. Click on Help on the PhotoshopCS menu.
2. Click on "Photoshop Help…"

If this is two slow so far, skip steps 1 and 2 by pressing the F1 key.

3. On the left side of the screen, find and Click on "Search".
4. Enter "airbrush" in the "Find pages containing:" text box
5. Press the "Enter" key or Click on the "Search" button
6. Below the "Search" button will be displayed a list of "Pages containing:
airbrush"
7. Click on the first entry "Creating airbrush effects (Photoshop)"
8. On the right side of the screen read the first two lines…

The Airbrush option in the Brushes palette lets you apply gradual tones to
an image, simulating traditional airbrush techniques.

Note: The Airbrush option in the Brushes palette corresponds to the Airbrush
option in the options bar.

Within about 20 seconds you would know where the Airbrush is located. A lot quicker than waiting for a response to a posting here.

"Hunt" wrote in message
In article <zSgEc.75512$>,

says…
wrote:

Purchasing this was a long-thought-out decision but made on the spur
of
the
two.
πŸ˜‰

John

faithful
air brush? It’s not even in the Help files or the manual from what
I
can

Thanks, Jasper

No doubt it is, but air brush wasn’t in the index for sure (well who knows — it may have been under b rather than a), and I was sort of in
the
middle of a project and had a number of chores on the go at the same
time,
so I asked a quick question and got enough of an answer to tide me over
for
the time being. I will curl up with the manual when I can breathe a bit.
In
some ways it may seem like an odd time to make a switch, but I have
already
found the Shadows/Highlight adjustment helpful, so I’m not sorry that I
did.
For the last few ittertion of the PS manual, a lot has been omitted. Adobe assumes that everything important can be, and is, covered in the Online
Help
files. Trouble is, you have to know the exact conventions used to be able
to
use it effectively and quickly – case in point "it may have been under b rather than a). When one is on deadline, trying to navigate the Help files
is
not as easy as having a printed reference on hand and open to the subject. That is usually why I have at least one copy of the previous ver on the machine, so I can complete the work, then spend time over a few glasses of wine, learning the new ver. CS was the first new ver that I pressed into service out of the box, and kept saying a "thank you Adobe," when most of
the
interface worked like 7 did. Years ago, I had Layers on my newest ver 4?,
but
didn’t get to them until I had completed three major projects. Now, each
of
those would have benefitted greatly from Layers, but there was just not
time
to explore and learn – it was all DO! Besides, the Upgrade CS Premium (or whatever it’s officially named) does not ship with manuals. They are
available
for an additional purchase of ~US$ 60. To paraphrase almost everything in
the
PS CS manual – "See Help Files… "

For books (especially for the photographer using Photoshop), I’d also recommend Ben Willmore’s "Photoshop CS Studio Techniques," Adobe Press.
Hunt
J
Jasper
Jul 9, 2004
Newsgroups are for helping out when Help fails.

I appreciate your thorough response, but the thread started when I posted that I could not find "air brush" in the Help Files or the index of the manual. Under some constraints at the time, it was, in point of fact, easier for me to post than hunt. So it’s "airbrush" — one word. Seems to me that good help files should maybe have considered that and saved us all some bandwidth. πŸ™‚

As I said, thanks for your complete answer.

"Gary Prince" wrote in message
HELP IS FOR THOSE THAT HELP THEMSELEVES!!!

1. Click on Help on the PhotoshopCS menu.
2. Click on "Photoshop Help…"

If this is two slow so far, skip steps 1 and 2 by pressing the F1 key.
3. On the left side of the screen, find and Click on "Search".
4. Enter "airbrush" in the "Find pages containing:" text box
5. Press the "Enter" key or Click on the "Search" button
6. Below the "Search" button will be displayed a list of "Pages
containing:
airbrush"
7. Click on the first entry "Creating airbrush effects (Photoshop)"
8. On the right side of the screen read the first two lines…

The Airbrush option in the Brushes palette lets you apply gradual
tones
to
an image, simulating traditional airbrush techniques.

Note: The Airbrush option in the Brushes palette corresponds to the Airbrush
option in the options bar.

Within about 20 seconds you would know where the Airbrush is located. A
lot
quicker than waiting for a response to a posting here.
C
Canopus
Jul 9, 2004
in article d8AHc.48840$, Jasper at
wrote on 07/09/2004 9:57 AM:

There is no one use for newsgroups. Each person decides how they will use the newsgroup. You have decided that you are going to whine and cry about how the newsgroup is. That is what YOU have decided the newsgroup is for.
J
Jasper
Jul 9, 2004
Oh for goodness sakes, did you have a hard day at the office or what? I’m neither whining nor crying. Neither by saying that Newsgroups have one use do I exclude any others.

Did you not note that I thanked the poster for his comments and all others for theirs too?

"Canopus" wrote in message
in article d8AHc.48840$, Jasper at
wrote on 07/09/2004 9:57 AM:

There is no one use for newsgroups. Each person decides how they will use the newsgroup. You have decided that you are going to whine and cry about how the newsgroup is. That is what YOU have decided the newsgroup is for.
C
Canopus
Jul 10, 2004
in article 87FHc.50131$, Jasper at
wrote on 07/09/2004 3:37 PM:

saying that Newsgroups have one use
do I exclude any others.

I see you believe in "Magic Logic".

By saying you’re an idiot does not exclude the fact you are a moron also.
J
Jasper
Jul 10, 2004
And I see that you’re a spammer and a bad one at that. You posted a flood or nearly identical messages within about five minutes of each other. Pretty unoriginal. You need to get out more.

Better change your handle as you’re probably going into a number of killfiles right now.

do I exclude any others.

By saying you’re an idiot does not exclude the fact you are a moron also.
R
Ron
Jul 10, 2004
And I see that you’re a spammer and a bad one at that. You posted a flood
or
nearly identical messages within about five minutes of each other. Pretty unoriginal. You need to get out more.

Better change your handle as you’re probably going into a number of killfiles right now.

do I exclude any others.

By saying you’re an idiot does not exclude the fact you are a moron
also.

Ignore those remarks from Canap
H
Hecate
Jul 11, 2004
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:35:25 -0400, "Ron" wrote:

Ignore those remarks from CanapΓ©s, Jasper. Your question was valid. There should be a sticky FAQ for all NGs. But then, I guess that’d mean they’d have to be moderated. Hey, not a bad idea. Then assholes like Canopies could be booted.
The alt in alt groups stands for alternative. They are all a free for all. If you’;re not keen on that idea you’re better off using the non-alt groups. OTOH, you’ll find far more people on alt groups simply because they are "wild".

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
C
Canopus
Jul 11, 2004
in article l4KHc.39511$, Jasper at
wrote on 07/09/2004 9:14 PM:

You posted a flood or
nearly identical messages within about five minutes of each other.

Do you really think I care?
C
Canopus
Jul 11, 2004
in article 40efe258$0$1186$
wrote on 07/10/2004 5:35 AM:

Ignore those remarks from CanapΓ©s, Jasper. Your question was valid. There should be a sticky FAQ for all NGs. But then, I guess that’d mean they’d have to be moderated. Hey, not a bad idea. Then assholes like Canopies could be booted.

Blah Blah Blah

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections