TN
Posted By
text news
Jan 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Corel Photopaint there is a tool that can be used to locally enhance contrast, rather like a brush.
Is there something similar in Photoshop 7? as I cannot see how I can locally enhance contrast other than by selecting an area first and then using image/adjust/contrast on that selection. What I need is something like the dodge or sharpen tools but for contrast.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Les

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

E
edjh
Jan 22, 2004
text news wrote:
In Corel Photopaint there is a tool that can be used to locally enhance contrast, rather like a brush.
Is there something similar in Photoshop 7? as I cannot see how I can locally enhance contrast other than by selecting an area first and then using image/adjust/contrast on that selection. What I need is something like the dodge or sharpen tools but for contrast.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Les
Make an Adjustment Layer with a mask. Fill the mask with black and paint in the contrast with white. Gives you lots of control.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
N
nomail
Jan 22, 2004
text news wrote:

You can change any adjustment into a adjustment-brush using the following method. Make an adjustment layer for contrast. Fill the layer mask with black, so the adjustment layer has no effect anymore. Use a white brush in the mask to paint back the effect where you want it.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
TN
text news
Jan 22, 2004
Is there something similar in Photoshop 7? as I cannot see how I can
locally
enhance contrast other than by selecting an area first and then using image/adjust/contrast on that selection. What I need is something like
the
dodge or sharpen tools but for contrast.

You can change any adjustment into a adjustment-brush using the following method. Make an adjustment layer for contrast. Fill the layer mask with black, so the adjustment layer has no effect anymore. Use a white brush in the mask to paint back the effect where you want it.

Many thanks to both of you.
There is so much to learn, I am very grateful.
Following your instructions I created the adjustment layer, filled it with black and set contrast to +50. Now when I paint with a white brush I can use the opacity setting for the brush to vary the amount of contrast adjustment and build it up as required.
I also found that I could then vary the master contrast control for that layer to further, selectively, increase or decrease the effect where I had used the brush. Excellent.

Les
E
edjh
Jan 22, 2004
/snip/
I also found that I could then vary the master contrast control for that layer to further, selectively, increase or decrease the effect where I had used the brush. Excellent.

Les

Another thing you can do is use Levels on the Layer Mask to vary the intensity of your contrast. You can also run some filters on masks for additional control/effects.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
M
Marsupilami
Jan 22, 2004
text news wrote:
Is there something similar in Photoshop 7? as I cannot see how I can locally enhance contrast other than by selecting an area first and then using image/adjust/contrast on that selection. What I need is something like the dodge or sharpen tools but for contrast. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Les

you can use the history brush (a bit odd to use but quite powerful) make a "level" adjustment on the whole image and then go back of one step in the history palette
then define the source of the history brush in the level area (hope it makes sense).
Then paint with this brush wherever you want your contrast changed, so you can hit F1 with "history brush" if my english sounds awful.

Houba houba
Marsu.
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 23, 2004
Marsupilami wrote:
text news wrote:
Is there something similar in Photoshop 7? as I cannot see how I can locally enhance contrast other than by selecting an area first and then using image/adjust/contrast on that selection. What I need is something like the dodge or sharpen tools but for contrast. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Les

Add a curves adjustment layer, and paint the layer mask white where you want to have contrast.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
U
unimatrix001
Jan 25, 2004
"Mike Russell" wrote in
news:i28Qb.14881$:

Marsupilami wrote:
text news wrote:
Les

Add a curves adjustment layer, and paint the layer mask white where you want to have contrast.

you can also use the sharpen tool that is grouped with the blur and smudge tool….

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections