Elements 2- Applying contrast with a brush?

G
Posted By
gitridaspam
Aug 3, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Other than doing so to the entire photo, is there a way to apply contrast to a small area (like using a brush, for example)?

Thanks, Lar

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JK
Jeffrey Kaplan
Aug 3, 2010
Previously on adobe.photoshop.elements, Larry B. said:

Other than doing so to the entire photo, is there a way to apply contrast to a small area (like using a brush, for example)?

Copy the section to a layer, adjust the layer, and blend it back in.

Elements TWO? I have 7, the current version is 8.

Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

"You stole my car! BAD BUNNY!" – Torg, ‘Sluggy Freelance’
LB
Larry B
Aug 3, 2010
"Jeffrey Kaplan" wrote in message
Previously on adobe.photoshop.elements, Larry B. said:

Other than doing so to the entire photo, is there a way to apply contrast to
a small area (like using a brush, for example)?

Copy the section to a layer, adjust the layer, and blend it back in.
Elements TWO? I have 7, the current version is 8.

"You stole my car! BAD BUNNY!" – Torg, ‘Sluggy Freelance’

I should’ve bet money that whoever responded would not be able to resist the temptation. Made me smile, though. Yes, PSE2. But there is hope. I just bought 5!!!! My needs are not great with my occassional photo editing. So, the latest and greatest in this area does nothing for me. I’ll catch up eventually. I promise!!

Anyways, thanks for the tip.
JK
Jeffrey Kaplan
Aug 3, 2010
Previously on adobe.photoshop.elements, Larry B said:

I should’ve bet money that whoever responded would not be able to resist the temptation. Made me smile, though. Yes, PSE2. But there is hope. I just

Heh. 🙂

bought 5!!!! My needs are not great with my occassional photo editing. So, the latest and greatest in this area does nothing for me. I’ll catch up eventually. I promise!!

Just so you know, they do make improvements occasionally in the upgrades. 🙂 Not merely more editing options, but also making what is there already work better.

Anyways, thanks for the tip.

You’re welcome.

I just learned recently that I can sharpen with a brush rather than by selection.

"Computer games don’t affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music." — Marcus Brigstocke
LL
Leo Lichtman
Aug 3, 2010
"Larry B." wrote in message
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is how I do it, using Elements 4: Make a duplicate layer and place it below the first layer. Hide the upper layer, and use Contrast/brightness on the lower layer to get the effect you want in the desired area. Overdo it a bit. Ignore the parts outside the area of concern–they won’t show when you are done. Turn the upper layer back on, and use the eraser to reveal the part of the lower layer you want to see. Flatten.
G
gitridaspam
Aug 5, 2010
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
"Larry B." wrote in message
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is how I do it, using Elements 4: Make a duplicate layer and place it below the first layer. Hide the upper layer, and use Contrast/brightness on the lower layer to get the effect you want in the desired area. Overdo it a bit. Ignore the parts outside the area of concern–they won’t show when you are done. Turn the upper layer back on, and use the eraser to reveal the part of the lower layer you want to see. Flatten.
Thanks Leo. I am taking Greek 101 right now. You sound like a professional.

I’ll get back to you. I am actually going to try that procedure with a learning curve!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections