S
Posted By
sillyrabbit
Jan 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello i have my WIN XP set up so that pictures open op in the windows picture and fax viewer as its the fastest way for me to browse through images but when i want to edit them in photoshop CS i righclick and say open with photoshop! In the windows picture and fax viewer there is a button that says: Close this program and open it for editing- how do is set this to open the picture in photoshop and not damn paint as it does now???

THANK YOU!!!

PS. I know about the new browser feature in CS!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Jan 30, 2004
right click the file in explorer. select "Open with…" (not open with photoshop). when the program list opens up, select photoshop and check the "always use this application to open this file type" box.

dave
DR
David_Ray_Moore
Jan 30, 2004
I have the same problem. But when I right click and choose Open With, I don’t see Photoshop Creative Suite as an option. I even browse to the program and choose the .exe program, but nothing happens. What do I need to do to open graphic files with photoshop and not Microsoft graphic-file editor?
Thanks for any help.
RM
Rick Moore
Jan 30, 2004
Use Folder Options > Advanced and change the association. If you have a button that says Restore hit that and it will change to Advanced.
DR
David_Ray_Moore
Jan 30, 2004
If I choose tools/folder options/file types, I can choose jpeg files, and then choose "change the file that opens these file types" But the list of programs does not contain my program Photoshop Creative Suite.
RM
Rick Moore
Jan 30, 2004
Advanced, not Change
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 30, 2004
david ray, select the browse button if your required app isn’t listed. you won’t see "creative suite" though. You need to select the specific program from within the suite, ie photoshop, illustrator, indesign, etc.
S
sillyrabbit
Jan 30, 2004
Thank you but i don’t want it to open up every picture in photoshop, when i open a JPEG in windows it opens up the picture and fax viewer and thats how i want it!!! BUT in the windows pic and fax viewer there is a button that says: "Closes this window and open the image for editing" – when i press this button i want photoshop to open and NOT paint as it i currently set to! How do i change which program this button opens???

I already know all the stuff about what program open what and the file types – but i just want to change this button for convenience!
Thanks!
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 30, 2004
ah. not in front of xp right now, but i will be later. i know exactly what you mean, and like the p&f viewer to open jpgs myself. if someone doesn’t get to you first, i’ll get back to you after 4pm est.

try holding the shift as you right click in pic&fax viewer see if you get the regual "open with…" dialog i described above…

dave
RM
Rick Moore
Jan 30, 2004
Don’t use Open with if you want to keep the viewer, you have to change the association with Folder Options
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 30, 2004
There was definetely a problem with getting files associated with Photoshop CS. I had to jump through the hoops the Rick pointed out which shouldn’t have been necessary.

Even browsing to the EXE file still caused Windows to launch Photoshop 7.

Bob
MR
Mark_Rehmar
Jan 30, 2004
I just experimented on my system, and if, when I’m in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer I right click on the "closes this program and opens this image for editing" button, the context menu has an edit with photoshop option.

BTW, I find that ACDC is a much faster image browser than windows viewer.

HTH
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 30, 2004
you know, (still not home btw, sorry) i’m noticing you guys are saying "click on button". I right click on the image itself and select photoshop… maybe that makes a diff?

again, will check when I get home.

dave
MR
Mark_Rehmar
Jan 30, 2004
Your right Dave, the same context menu comes up when you right click anywhere (on the picture, on any button, or in the margins). Pretty obvious and easy once ya know!
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 30, 2004
yup. (finally home! yay!) right click on the image in the win p&fax viewer and open with, choose program, select and check the box. works fine.

in the explorer file type set up, the trick is to make sure that windows pix and fax viewer is set to preview, and that it is the default action (so when you double click, it’ll still open the p&f viewer), and the open actions should be set to ps cs.
Q
qat
Feb 10, 2004
anyone know how to disable that option, I dont want Photoshop and ImageReady to be in the context menu.
Kindly help.
Qat
MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 10, 2004
Check out www.dougknox.com/utilities. He provides a little program to customise Open With lists. I haven’t used it but this is a great and reliable Win tweaker site so I would be inclined to trust it. I’m not usually inclined to download programs that mess with the innards of my registry and system by the way without knowing what they are doing.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections