JA
Posted By
Jean_Airey
Jun 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ running Photoshop elements 2 on Windows XP and got a disk that was from a Mac and has Photoshop .tif files on it. Elements won’t open these files. Is there any way for me to open them?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 4, 2005
..tif is a universal format, so the simple fact the file was created on a Mac shouldn’t be a problem. It’s possible the file was corrupted in some way, though. Download the freeware Irfanview, because it oftens opens stubborn image files. If it does, change the format to something else non-lossy (like PSD), save it, and then change it back to .TIF again and see if Elements can recognize and open it then.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 4, 2005
Perhaps the files are in 16bits TIFF, or they’ve been saves with Mac Byte Order (an option of the TIFF format).

Ray
JA
Jean_Airey
Jun 5, 2005
Thanks for the advice. Beth, I tried Ifranview and it couldn’t open them either.

Raymond: If that is the way they were saved, what program would open them? I’d be glad to send them to someone who could open them and resave as a more "portable" file.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 5, 2005
How big are they?
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 5, 2005
If they were save for Mac, then any Mac software should open them. If you’d like to send one to me at carbmac AT gmail.com (replace the AT with @), I’ll be glad to see what I can do.

Ray
R
RSD99
Jun 6, 2005
"Ray" posted:
"…
or they’ve been saves with Mac Byte
Order (an option of the TIFF format).
…."

By definition … as in the TIF Specification …. all programs that handle TIFF files *must* be able to handle both "byte order" formats.

Therefore: that does not make any difference

"Ray" wrote in message
Perhaps the files are in 16bits TIFF, or they’ve been saves with Mac Byte Order (an option of the TIFF format).

Ray
JA
Jean_Airey
Jun 6, 2005
They’re 33 MB each – we’ve decided not to try to use them. If I can find someone locally with a mac I might let them try. Thanks for all the help!

Jean

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections