LV
Posted By
Laslo_Varadi
Apr 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed Photoshop CS3 and when I double click on a JPG icon in Windows explorer it opens up in CS2 instead of CS3. I have tried to change the file association but CS3 is not on the list and when I navigate to the Adobe folder where it is located and select the program it does not add CS3 to the list of programs to open JPG files with. I am running Windows XP Pro, Service pack 2. Any suggestions

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 16, 2007
I have tried to change the file association but CS3 is not on the list and when I navigate to the Adobe folder where it is located and select the program it does not add CS3 to the list of programs to open JPG files with.

Sounds like you are on the right track. With open with option, you should have a check box to click that is "Always Open with this program". Then browse to cs3 and choose it once. That should change the association.
JH
Juliana_Halvorson
May 4, 2007
I too have this problem. I checked the file associations in Bridge and it says to open the JPG files in Photoshop CS3. I also manually changed the file associations through Windows, but no matter what, the images continually open in Microsoft Photo Editor. I have changed these in the past with no problem, but since I loaded Photoshop CS3, the JPG files will not open in Photoshop unless I load them there. Used to be I could double click them and they would open correctly. I have tried changing this several times (even told Windows to always use this program….) even after rebooting, but no luck.

Anyone have a solution?
Thanks!
Juilana
MA
Michael_A_Goodman
Jun 1, 2007
Very similar problem. I recently installed Photoshop CS and Imageready (Win XP Pro sp2). Now all .jpg (and other) files open in Imageready, not Photoshop (as they used to). I want them to open in Photoshop. I have tried several times to change the association in Windows — with and without "always use" — and I just can’t seem to add Photoshop CS to the list of apps. I find it and select it, but it never makes the list!

The really odd thing is that I installed the same programs on my laptop, and the association there works fine.

Any suggestions? How do I change the association without uninstalling and reinstalling? Or is that my only option?
A
Aloalo
Jun 1, 2007
Try this:

In explorer go to:
1)Tools->Folder Options->File Types:
2)Locate the JPG extension.
3)Click on Delete.
4)Then click New.
5)Type in the File Extension "JPG", click OK.
6)JPG still selected, click Advanced.
7)In Edit File Type, click New.
8)Under "Action:" type "open"
9)Under "Application used to perform action", browse to Photoshop.exe like this(AND ADD "%1" AT THE END):
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Photoshop.exe" "%1" 10)Enable "Use DDE", then click OK.

11)Still in the "Edit File Type" window, click "Change Icon" 12)Browse to CS3 directory, select Photoshop.exe
13)Choose an icon.
14)Type a name for it like, then click OK to close the window.

Note that you should also add the following actions in the "Edit File Type" window:

edit
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

preview
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

print
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Photoshop.exe" -p "%1"

This will set files with .jpg extension be opened with photoshop. (be aware that some programs automatic associate extensions to be used with).

Alo
MA
Michael_A_Goodman
Jun 2, 2007
I was able to solve the problem a different way. I went to Settings / Add/remove programs, and "repaired" Photoshop. It let me select the file associations there, and then "re-installed."

Now it works just the way it’s supposed to. I’d like to think there’s a better way, because that seems like overkill, but at least that problem is now solved.

Thanks for your help, Aloalo. I didn’t get to your solution until I’d solved it "the long way."
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 2, 2007
As a footnote to Post #4; the all of "the following actions" bit at the end is not necessary. Furthermore, if you prefer not to fire up Photoshop every time you want a full screen view of a JPG, TIF or GIF, choose Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to Preview and Open and Photoshop to Edit.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections