N
Posted By
No
Apr 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a image that I want to use as part of a header, I would like the top right and left corners to be rounded.
I can find all kinds of tutorials for rounding corners but they do not start with a image. Most of them tell you to draw shapes..I did that and then tried to fill it with my image as a pattern but that didn’t work cause it tiled.

Would appreciate some help
Thanks in advance

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

N
newsgroup
Apr 17, 2004
"No" wrote in message
I have a image that I want to use as part of a header, I would like the
right and left corners to be rounded.
I can find all kinds of tutorials for rounding corners but they do not
start
with a image. Most of them tell you to draw shapes..I did that and then tried to fill it with my image as a pattern but that didn’t work cause it tiled.

Thanks in advance

I’ll assume you’re a beginner and are using this for the web. I don’t actually do web graphics but this should be pretty easy. Open your image. Go into Quick mask mode (hit q key). Take your eliptical marquee tool and (holding down the shift key to keep it round) draw a circle in the 1st corner. If you hold down the space bar at the same time you can slide it around to place it before you release the mouse. Make sure it touches both edges. Fill it with black. Use the move (v key) tool with the alt key pressed to duplicate it. Click and slide it into the opposite corner. Use the magic wand (w key) to select the remaining area. Fill it with black too. Exit quick mask (q). You should see the "marching ants" in the corners. Open layers (I assume you only have one layer, else flatten them) and double click on the background layer. Layer 0, OK. Hit the delete key to remove your pointy corners. Deselect (Ctrl D). File / Save for Web. Select GIF and check off Transparency. You can play with the settings to make the image size smaller, matte the same colour as your page etc. That should do it. Good luck…
~Doc
N
No
Apr 17, 2004
Thanks for your response but your directions do not work for me, maybe you left out some steps.

"~Doc" wrote in message
"No" wrote in message
I have a image that I want to use as part of a header, I would like the
start
with a image. Most of them tell you to draw shapes..I did that and then tried to fill it with my image as a pattern but that didn’t work cause
it
tiled.

Thanks in advance

I’ll assume you’re a beginner and are using this for the web. I don’t actually do web graphics but this should be pretty easy. Open your image.
Go
into Quick mask mode (hit q key). Take your eliptical marquee tool and (holding down the shift key to keep it round) draw a circle in the 1st corner. If you hold down the space bar at the same time you can slide it around to place it before you release the mouse. Make sure it touches both edges. Fill it with black. Use the move (v key) tool with the alt key pressed to duplicate it. Click and slide it into the opposite corner. Use the magic wand (w key) to select the remaining area. Fill it with black
too.
Exit quick mask (q). You should see the "marching ants" in the corners.
Open
layers (I assume you only have one layer, else flatten them) and double click on the background layer. Layer 0, OK. Hit the delete key to remove your pointy corners. Deselect (Ctrl D). File / Save for Web. Select GIF
and
check off Transparency. You can play with the settings to make the image size smaller, matte the same colour as your page etc. That should do it. Good luck…
~Doc

N
No
Apr 17, 2004
Doc,
Thanks for your attempt to help me I do appreciate it. I found a way to do what I needed and it was very simple. I am not trying to say you don’t know what you are doing, but I am going to tell you how I did it in case this is a way you are not aware of.

take your marquee tool and make a rectangle on your image.

click on "select" >"modify">"smooth" enter 16 in the dialog box then "enter"

Then I just cut and pasted in a new file and got my image with rounded edges.

just goes to show you there are so many different ways of doing things in Photoshop…..lol how are we to learn 🙂

Thanks again for your help

"No" wrote in message
Thanks for your response but your directions do not work for me, maybe you left out some steps.

"~Doc" wrote in message
"No" wrote in message
I have a image that I want to use as part of a header, I would like
the
start
with a image. Most of them tell you to draw shapes..I did that and
then
tried to fill it with my image as a pattern but that didn’t work cause
it
tiled.

Thanks in advance

I’ll assume you’re a beginner and are using this for the web. I don’t actually do web graphics but this should be pretty easy. Open your
image.
Go
into Quick mask mode (hit q key). Take your eliptical marquee tool and (holding down the shift key to keep it round) draw a circle in the 1st corner. If you hold down the space bar at the same time you can slide it around to place it before you release the mouse. Make sure it touches
both
edges. Fill it with black. Use the move (v key) tool with the alt key pressed to duplicate it. Click and slide it into the opposite corner.
Use
the magic wand (w key) to select the remaining area. Fill it with black
too.
Exit quick mask (q). You should see the "marching ants" in the corners.
Open
layers (I assume you only have one layer, else flatten them) and double click on the background layer. Layer 0, OK. Hit the delete key to remove your pointy corners. Deselect (Ctrl D). File / Save for Web. Select GIF
and
check off Transparency. You can play with the settings to make the image size smaller, matte the same colour as your page etc. That should do it. Good luck…
~Doc

N
newsgroup
Apr 17, 2004
No,
I’m not sure why my method didn’t work for you, you didn’t say. I assumed you were a beginner creating a transparent gif and you haven’t said otherwise. I explained a method of how to create a mask manually so you’d know how to apply the info in future masks. Good to see you got it figured out on your own though in your original post and subject you said you only wanted the top corners rounded.

Another way to do what you did is with the rounded rectangle tool set to paths / radius 16 px, then in the Paths menu select work path / Load path as a selection.

~Doc

"No" wrote in message
Doc,
Thanks for your attempt to help me I do appreciate it. I found a way to do what I needed and it was very simple. I am not trying to say you don’t know what you are doing, but I am going to tell you how I did it in case this is a way you are not aware of.

take your marquee tool and make a rectangle on your image.
click on "select" >"modify">"smooth" enter 16 in the dialog box then
"enter"
Then I just cut and pasted in a new file and got my image with rounded edges.

just goes to show you there are so many different ways of doing things in Photoshop…..lol how are we to learn 🙂

Thanks again for your help

"No" wrote in message
Thanks for your response but your directions do not work for me, maybe
you
left out some steps.

"~Doc" wrote in message
"No" wrote in message
I have a image that I want to use as part of a header, I would like
the
I can find all kinds of tutorials for rounding corners but they do
not
start
with a image. Most of them tell you to draw shapes..I did that and
then
tried to fill it with my image as a pattern but that didn’t work
cause
it
tiled.

Thanks in advance

I’ll assume you’re a beginner and are using this for the web. I don’t actually do web graphics but this should be pretty easy. Open your
image.
Go
into Quick mask mode (hit q key). Take your eliptical marquee tool and (holding down the shift key to keep it round) draw a circle in the 1st corner. If you hold down the space bar at the same time you can slide
it
around to place it before you release the mouse. Make sure it touches
both
edges. Fill it with black. Use the move (v key) tool with the alt key pressed to duplicate it. Click and slide it into the opposite corner.
Use
the magic wand (w key) to select the remaining area. Fill it with
black
too.
Exit quick mask (q). You should see the "marching ants" in the
corners.
Open
layers (I assume you only have one layer, else flatten them) and
double
click on the background layer. Layer 0, OK. Hit the delete key to
remove
your pointy corners. Deselect (Ctrl D). File / Save for Web. Select
GIF
and
check off Transparency. You can play with the settings to make the
size smaller, matte the same colour as your page etc. That should do
it.
Good luck…
~Doc

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections