Selecting Different Colors in an Action????

JG
Posted By
Jason Garrett
Sep 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello. I am trying to make a set of actions to run on a whole bunch of pictures. I want to be able to be able to select the color at a certain pixel to use as the foreground color and then the color at a different pixel as the background color. The problem is, is that when I made my action, it doesn’t select a new color each time i run it, only the colors that i used when I made it. Is there any way to do this?
Thanks,
Jason

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 17, 2003
No, not really. The action step you are recording is "Set Foreground Color", not "pick the color in this location". So when you record the action, it is simply setting the foreground (and background) colors to a numeric value of your choosing. They will remain that way until you change them.

Peace,
Tony
JG
Jason Garrett
Sep 17, 2003
So is there a way to "pick the color in this location?"
JG
Jason Garrett
Sep 17, 2003
Or, is there any other way so that it will be 2 different colors everytime without having to do it manually? They don’t even have to be colors in the picture.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 17, 2003
So is there a way to "pick the color in this location?"

I don’t know of any way.

If you knew the colors you wanted, you could manually record them into your action. Step, step, step, set foreground color, step, step, step, set foreground color, rinse and repeat.

Maybe there’s another way to accomplish what you want, just not the way you are trying to do it. If you elaborate more on that, we might be able to point you in a better direction.

Peace,
Tony
JG
Jason Garrett
Sep 17, 2003
Or, is there any other way so that it will be 2 different colors everytime without having to do it manually? They don’t even have to be colors in the picture.
JG
Jason Garrett
Sep 17, 2003
Okay, what I am trying to do is this:
I have 500 pictures all of the same size. I am making a new layer, enlargeing the canvas by 30 pixels all around, then using the cloud filter to make a cloud using the foreground and background color, then i move the cloud layer to the backgound. It all works good except that I would like the background to be different colors for each picture. Or atleast have about 10 different backgrounds for the whole group. Any ideas?
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 17, 2003
There’s no elegant way that I can think of to do it, but it IS do able.

Open a dummy image, record your resizing steps, then record the clouds filter with color set 1, include your save as sequence, then stop recording. Do that for the 10 or 12 different color sets, changing the foreground/background colors for each set. An easy way to do this is to Copy the action for color set 1, then in the step for color selection, double click on it to record the new colors. That way you don’t have to repeat all the steps 10 times, you just copy the action and make a single change to it.

You can run each action on a folder of images (I told you it was inelegant) OR, you can create a droplet for each one, and drop your folder onto each droplet thereby creating the entire set of approximately 5,000 images (10 bkgrnds x 500 images).

It’ll work, but it’s just not pretty.

Peace,
Tony
NB
Norbert Bissinger
Sep 18, 2003
I would write the action this way.
Open picture
Change Canvas
set the two colors for the clouds
Apply cloud filter
Hue and saturation with a stop
Save (in a new Folder.)
Close.

When you run batch it will stop so you can move the sliders.

Also consider to apply a style to the canvas.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 18, 2003
Norberts way works too, but it’s not fully automated, and has to be "manned". If that’s good for you on 500 images, it’s easier, you just have to manually change each one.

Personally, I’d prefer to write the gag and vomit once, hit go, and go get coffee. But that’s me.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections