Select (above/below) layer in recorded action?

SK
Posted By
Schraalhans Keukenmeester
Nov 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a file with several icons, each in a separate layer. For every icon I need rollover states, and some animation in one of these.

I have succesfully created a specimen. Now I’d like to automate these steps for other icons as well, but I can’t seem to convince PS(CS2) to select a layer relative to the current. Instead it selects a specific layer, as recorded.

Is it possible/easy to tell PS to select and/or duplicate layers relative to the active one? I’ve leafed my PS books, including the PS/CS2 speed clinic, and found nothing on this. Google yields many results, but I can’t finetune my query enough to get the right info. The Shortcut keys list has options for bringing layers forward or sending them back, but I see none for selecting prev/next layer.

Thanks in advance!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

E
edjh
Nov 25, 2006
Schraalhans Keukenmeester wrote:
I have a file with several icons, each in a separate layer. For every icon I need rollover states, and some animation in one of these.
I have succesfully created a specimen. Now I’d like to automate these steps for other icons as well, but I can’t seem to convince PS(CS2) to select a layer relative to the current. Instead it selects a specific layer, as recorded.

Is it possible/easy to tell PS to select and/or duplicate layers relative to the active one? I’ve leafed my PS books, including the PS/CS2 speed clinic, and found nothing on this. Google yields many results, but I can’t finetune my query enough to get the right info. The Shortcut keys list has options for bringing layers forward or sending them back, but I see none for selecting prev/next layer.
Thanks in advance!

Yes, there are combinations of the bracket keys [ ] and Alt, Shift and Ctrl in various configurations to do what you want.

Specifics can be found on Trevor Morris’s site:

http://user.fundy.net/morris/

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
SK
Schraalhans Keukenmeester
Nov 27, 2006
edjh wrote:
Schraalhans Keukenmeester wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Yes, there are combinations of the bracket keys [ ] and Alt, Shift and Ctrl in various configurations to do what you want.

Specifics can be found on Trevor Morris’s site:

http://user.fundy.net/morris/
Thanks a lot. My action works like a charm now! (I won’t mention the cussing and fidgeting before I finally got it right)

Been using PS for about 11 years now and still it throws stuff in my face every now and then. But what a leap from PS3 to where we are today! It’s the ONLY reason I still have a virtual WinXP ‘machine’ on my Linux pc. Can’t wait till Adobe takes that last hurdle. The Gimp just can’t hold a candle to PS.

Kindest
Sh.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections