Run Adobe Gamma Loader AND select colour profile in Display settings?

RW
Posted By
Robin_whitaker
Apr 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. If I create a colour prifle with the Adobe gamma utility and then select the colour profile in the "Display-Settings-Advanced-colour profile" section of the display settings, do I ALSO have to load the Adobe Gamma Loader at startup?

If so, why? Surely selecting the colour profle in the display settings is enough for Windows to use it? If I must run both things, what does Adobe gamma Loader do that the display drivers colour profile section doesn’t?

I run XP-Home. ATI graphics card and drivers.

Apologies for duplication if already covered. I couldn’t find it.

Regards from New Zealand.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
brent_bertram
Apr 26, 2004
"Surely selecting the colour profle in the display settings is enough for Windows to use it?", NOPE ! <G> .

You’d think so, I know, but it just aint so . The profile you create has two sections, one used as a reference to correctly display the images in color managed apps, the other portion is an offset table loaded into the video LUT of your graphics card by the Adobe Gamma loader.exe to adjust your display to the calibrated state.
Windows just isn’t as color managed as it could be .
<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm> is a good tutorial on the Adobe Gamma utility.

🙂

Brent

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections