LJ
Posted By
Larry_J._Walker
Apr 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I purchased PSE 3.0 primarily to create a simulated before and after picture of rooms or areas of my house. I want to be able to insert portions of photos into a photo of a room so that I will be able to show other people how a different type of flooring, or carpet would look in that setting. What I just described is only one of many similar tasks I want to do. I planned to use this technique help us get through the entire renovation of our house. I have zero prior experience working with photo software. I have no working knowledge of the appropiate terminology or procedures associated with this technology. The help sections of PSE 3.0 do not describe how to do this in language that I understand. The information in the product data allude to the ability to "Combine photos to make fun composites". Even the Adobe Photshop elements 3.0 cover photo depicts an attractive lady with a "Muse", standing on her shoulder, apparently whispering in her ear. This is what I want to be able to do with PSE 3.0. For all the overt references, in the marketing to accomplishing this feat, I find nothing in the software it’self that I recognize as how to perform this operation.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 28, 2005
Hi Larry,

One simple way to do this for a floor is to:

Duplicate your layer (Layer Duplicate Layer)
Go to the layers Palette and turn off the eyeball of the lower layer. Use the lasso tool to select the floor the delete it by doing Edit>Delete Now open an image of your new floor covering and do
Select>All, Edit>Copy
Go back to your image
Go to the layers palette and click on the background layer then do Edit>Paste
Hopefully you will now have the new floor covering in place. If the perspective it not right then do Image>Transform>Perspective and pull it into shape.

To show the original floor covering go to the layers palette and switch on the background eyeball then turn off the new floor layer eyeball.

You can build up a series of new floors this way and show them simply by switching the eyeballs on and off

Wendy
LJ
Larry_J._Walker
May 4, 2005
Thanks Wendy, that works well. I delayed trying your solution for a few days, because even before you had posted your reply, I realized I needed to get some instructional publications. I now have two books to help me learn the terms, tools, and features of PSE 3.0. I am now able, to do exactly what I needed to do with that project. I need to practice more on the perspective simulating technique to get realistic appearing results, but I am quite satisfied with the accomplishments so far. I have also discovered the software can empower with one "a chameleon like" ability to alternate colors. That will be a very useful thing for a myriad of future "re-do" projects. It just seems to get better and better. Thank you once again, Larry J. Walker
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 4, 2005
Hi Larry,

Glad it worked … sounds like you have had a very steep learning curve. Elements is a great program and you can do all sorts of things with it ….

Anytime you get stuck … just let us know 🙂

Wendy
LJ
Larry_J._Walker
May 5, 2005
Wendy: Thanks for the help, and encouragement. For me,the learning curve, has seemed almost like a straight, vertical line at times. But, even though I may get somewhat frustrated now and then, I do not intend to give up trying. PSE 3.0 has much more to offer than I imagined, so I’ll just have to learn how to do more of what’s in there. I’m sure I’ll be back with more cries for help. Thanks, Larry J. Walker

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections