Color Range Selection – is it possible in Elements?

MW
Posted By
Mike_W
Feb 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve searched the forums and looked at the tools in Hidden Elements, and don’t see this.

The reason I ask is I’m reading a ‘how-to’ in a mag, and of course they’re using PhotoShop. They are using the Selection…color range..Highlights to brighten up a dim sky. Then using Selection…color range…Shadows to brighten up the dark areas of a building.

I can somewhat get this by using the magic wand and then fine-tuning the selections by hand, but wondered if there was a faster way (without buying PhotoShop).

Thanks,
Mike

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JH
Jim_Hess
Feb 4, 2004
There are always a number of different ways to accomplish something. I think it becomes a matter of personal taste and abilities to determine what is going to work best for you. One way I have brightened up the sky is to use a hue/saturation adjustment layer, and instead of using the default RGB setting I have changed to just adjusting the blues. For sunsets I have adjusted the reds and yellows. You also have the ability to adjust the red, blue and green separately if you use a levels adjustment layer. The main thing you need to learn to do is experiment until you find something that works. Fortunately, there is no right or wrong way to do things.

There are a number of tasks that can be performed much more elegantly in the full version of Photoshop, but Photoshop Elements is so versatile that unless you know that you absolutely need the full version of Photoshop you can probably find a way to accomplish what you need to. However, be aware that Photoshop Elements is never going to provide you with every capability that Photoshop has. That’s why it is so much less expensive to purchase.
R
Ray
Feb 4, 2004
Mike,

You might get lucky with the Enhance / Adjust Color / Replace color command. It’s not the same as the color selection, but if your goal is to change a color, then you’ll find you you need.

Ray
DN
Douglas_Nelson
Feb 4, 2004
I don’t know if it’s faster, but this will give you some control:

1. Select the color you want to select with eyedropper
2. Make a new solid color layer filled with the eyedropper color
3. Set the blending mode of that layer to Difference (everything in your
original the color of your eyedropper color will now be black)
4. Use a Threshold adjustment layer to expand or contract the area to be
selected
5. Use magic wand (low tolerance, contiguous off) to select black areas

There’s your color selection. You can hide or delete the layers created for this procedure as long as you don’t deselect, and you’ll still have your selection active.

==============================
http://www.retouchpro.com — The #1 online community for retouchers and restorers
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 5, 2004
Douglas – that is one cool tip – thank you!

Susan S.
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 5, 2004
Douglas,

I’ve copied your tip into my "keeper" file.

Thanks!

Byron

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections