HE
Posted By
Hansje_Everts
Dec 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use an HP computer with 2 MB RAM and XP SP 3.
I have downloaded the trial version of CS4 twice, but in both cases I get an error message and the programme shuts down when I open an image (any type) or Preferences. My graphics card is Nvidea GeForce FX5700.

Any suggestions?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
jdyb
Dec 29, 2008
I think that you have the same problem as me. But i have a different SO (Windows Vista) and a different graphic card.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b760d5>
HE
Hansje_Everts
Dec 29, 2008
Your problem seems a bit different. Contrary to you, I can open photoshop, but that is all I can do. I get an error message, apologizing that Photoshop has to shut down, when I open an image or Preferences.

I hope Adobe looks at these messages, because I doubt I am the only one with this problem. At this point I can’t test CS4.
HE
Hansje_Everts
Dec 29, 2008
I might have found a reason for my problem. There is a list of tested graphic cards for CS4: < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405711&sliceId=2#win1>

My card is not on it. I hope Adobe will deal with this.
J
jdyb
Dec 29, 2008
At least i see that i´m not the only person with this problems, i hope Adobe will launch some updates to fix this type of problems.

Or maybe the problem is not Adobe, could be the graphic card, but i don´t think so because you have a different card and our graphichs cards are good.
J
jdyb
Dec 29, 2008
My card is in the list ATI HD 2900.

I don´t know what is the problem, i hope someone see this post and know what is the problem.
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Dec 29, 2008
My graphics card is Nvidea GeForce FX5700.

A quick search revealed that this card was introduced in 2003. This card is ancient technology! I do not believe it supports the requirements of OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 3.0.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_FX_Series>
J
jdyb
Dec 29, 2008
But my card is a very good card and is in the list and we have the same problem.

Open GL 2.0 and Shader Model 3.0 can be desactivate in the performace settings, but we can´t access to this windows because the application launch an error message.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Dec 29, 2008
Jdyb,

Try updating, if you have not already, Directx 9c December version. This has helped a few people.
J
jdyb
Dec 29, 2008
I´m working in Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bits, so i have direcx 10.

Thank you.
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 29, 2008
jdyb,

What ATI driver are you using? I ask because I upgraded to Catalyst 8.11 when it first came out (not long after CS4 was released), and it caused the same problems for me that you describe.

If you are using 8.11, try either the new 8.12 or go back to 8.10 and see if that helps.

That said, I’m still having multiple problems with 8.12 and CS4, but at least trying to run CS4 doesn’t shut it down like 8.11 did.

Hope that helps.
J
jdyb
Dec 29, 2008
When i install Windows Vista i put the drivers od the graphics card with the original CD of ATI, i´m seeingin the CD that is the version 8.361. With this version photoshop doesn´t run.

Then i put the last version in the ATI´s web, the web specifies that the version is the 8.12. With this version photoshop run but fail when i open a jpg and when i go to the settings.

I can see in the Device Manager of Windows that the actual version of the driver is 8.561.0.0.
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 29, 2008
The video card driver and the Catalyst Control Center are two different things. I’m not near my Photoshop machine right now, but will respond tomorrow about how to access earlier video card drivers.
HE
Hansje_Everts
Dec 30, 2008
I called Adobe, but the answer is that there is no technical support for trial versions. The forum is the only way. I understand their point of view, but how can I evaluate a not functioning software. One would also expect them to be curious to get feedback. He asked me to be patient.
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 30, 2008
jdyb,

Without knowing whether you are on 32 or 64-bit Vista, I can’t give you a link to the exact page, but this will get you started.

<http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML>

From there, just plug in the options for your video card and OS. That will take you to a page with the current drivers. Scroll down on that page to find a link to previous drivers.

Good luck!
J
jdyb
Dec 30, 2008
I know this web page, but i haven´t seen the link to previos versions. I think the only way is try with 8.11 or 8.10 because i´m in 8.12 and i´m having problems.

I will tell you the results in a few days because i´m not with the computer which have problems.

Thanks for your help and happy new year.
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 31, 2008
Happy New Year to you, as well. I hope it brings a solution to our problems with CS4. And, I hope that the solution is not CS5.
J
jdyb
Dec 31, 2008
I hope so, I don´t want to have to wait for CS5.jajaja

I will coment something in a few days.

Thanks
HE
Hansje_Everts
Dec 31, 2008
Wolf, I agree the card is "ancient", but the computer is still fine and fast. It was rather good quality when I bought it in 2004 and I have no reason at this point to buy another one.

Problem with the card is that it has a PCI connection and my computer does not have an AGP slot. Is there a card on the market, better than the Nvidia Geforce FX5700, but with PCI slot, which might solve the CS4 problem? A small investment for an upgrade would be justified.

It would be great if Adobe would tell me if the card can be the problem and how I can check that. If it is, I will probably soon be confronted with more of these problems with new softwares and purchasing a new computer would be justified.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 31, 2008
I have no reason at this point to buy another one.

well you have one, now… 😉
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 31, 2008
It would be great if Adobe would tell me if the card can be the problem and how I can check that.

I think the only thing they can tell you is the minimum requirements. Beyond that, there are too many other variables interacting to pin it specifically to the card.

Would that it were so simple!
HE
Hansje_Everts
Jan 1, 2009
Nick I see that, but Adobe could at least confirm that since the card is not on the list of card tested for compatibility, there is a high likelyhood it is the cause of the problem. I don’t expect a 100% answer.
J
jdyb
Jan 5, 2009
Now I´m Here.

Someone tells me in the other post that could be a problem of permissions, and the type of Windows Account, i think is not the problem, but i tell you.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b760d5/1>

I will try with the different versions of ATI catalyst when i could find any free time. I will tell you the results.
J
jdyb
Jan 7, 2009
Ok, I have trying with the drivers.

First i have uninstalled all the drivers and sofware of ATI. Without anything installed, photoshop works without problems with OpenGL power OF, and if you go to the performance preferences the application have to be close.

After installing Driver 8.11, photoshop works perfecly with OpenGL power ON.

After installing Catalyst Control Center 8.11 works with OpenGL power ON.

After rebooting the system works good but with the openGL power OF and if you go to performance preferences you have to close the application (the same message "the application doesn´t work, you have to close it…").

After installing driver and Catalyst Control Center 8.12 the same, works without OpenGL.

If I install ATI T200 Unified AVStream Driver photoshop doesn´t work good.

At the moment I have the program working properly but with OpenGL power OF. And i would like to activate it because i think my graphics card is very good and i would like the photoshop use it.

I hope my experience will help someone.
HE
Hansje_Everts
Jan 7, 2009
Thanks and good to hear you found at least some solution. I have given up and uninstalled CS4. I don’t have ATI drivers and I don’t know what a Catalist Control Center is. Perhaps that is more Vista related?

I may try again in a few months when CS4 is more debugged.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections