JS
Posted By
Jim_S._West
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am new to Photoshop Elements and have been making my way through the User Guide. One thing I am interested in is using layers to overlay several photos in a graphics.

How do you open a picture (from a file) into a new layer? The manual does not explain how to do this!

I can open a photo and work on it, then go to the layer palette to create a new layer, but can not open another photo in that new layer.

What am I doing wrong??

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DG
David G House
May 25, 2004
Jim..

What I do (and it may not necessarly be the best way) is to open the image I want to start on.. then make a Duplicate Layer (Thus keeping the orginal), unlocking the Duplicate so as I may work on it if I like. Then to add other layers from other images I open each image, create a Duplicaet layer, clik the "Restore Down" button (upper rt cornet of the Screen, the middle button betweent the – and X). Open the Layer Pallete then drag the layer from the pallet into the image I want to call my main image…. I’ll be watching this one to see if there is a better way….

David

P.S. Jim are you new to the Forum??? if so Welcome.. I am fairly new as well, you will find the poeple in here very friendly and helpful….
DT
Dennis_Talplacido
May 25, 2004
The way I do it: 1.I open the image I want to work on, 2.then make a New layer(blank)(click the button next to the trash bin at the bottom of the Layer pallete).
3.Open the 2nd image I want to add 4. "Select" "all" the 2nd image 5. "Copy" 6. Go back to the 1st image 7. Click on the blank layer 8. Then "paste".
Now you got two independent image you can work on…
I hope I don’t confuse you. I don’t know if there’s a short-cut but it works for me….
ML
Mark_Levesque
May 25, 2004
Here’s how I do it (using the file browser):

1) Open the first image
2) Open the 2nd image
3) Using the layers palette, drag the image you want to be on top and drop it on the image you want to be on the bottom.

Mark
JH
Jim_Hess
May 25, 2004
As I am sure you will soon discover, there are often several ways one can accomplish a specific task. One method for adding another photograph is to simply open the second photograph and use the move tool to simply drag that photograph on to the first photo. When you do this, Elements will automatically create a new layer and place the photograph on that layer. If you only want part of the image, you can highlight the part of the image that you want by either using one of the lasso tools or the marquee tool. After you have selected the area that you want simply copy it and then make the other image active and paste the selection. When combining photographs I think you’ll find it easiest to work with them give all of the images are the same resolution. After you have pasted a selection there are tools available to enable you to adjust the size to fit your needs.
JG
JR Gardiner
May 25, 2004
Here’s another way.
Open the all the images you want to work with.
Then, decide which one in the "main" images and duplicate the layer. Position it so that you can get to the other images. Now, make the image you want to copy
visible and just drag it to the original image. Hold down the Ctrl key while you drag and drop it on the original. You will now have two layers, both of which can be modified. Continue with each subsequent image.
Hope that helps!

Regards,
John Gardiner
Public opinion is what people think other people are thinking. wrote in message
| I am new to Photoshop Elements and have been making my way through the User Guide. One thing I am interested in is using layers to overlay several photos in a graphics.
|
| How do you open a picture (from a file) into a new layer? The manual does not explain how to do this!
|
| I can open a photo and work on it, then go to the layer palette to create a new layer, but can not open another photo in that new layer.
|
| What am I doing wrong??

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections