DB
Posted By
david_bowden
Oct 31, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone, I am having a few issues and thought I would try here as the email support hasn’t been able to help.

I have a couple of issues. My environment. Windows XP64 8gb Ram, nVidia 6800 video.

My issue is simple. The 64bit version works quite well. However I have several 3rd part plug-ins that I need and aren’t available yet. So I must use the 32bit version. That one is not working, its very slow, and has window re-draw issues.

Example: in CS4/32bit I load a drawing and select CROP. I draw a bounding box indicating the area that I want cropped. The screen showing what will be cropped never appears. If I re-size the window the screen appears. if I then adjust the crop box the screen doesn’t update. If I re-size the app window or drawing window it updates.

This is just one example. Zooms are slow as is menu redraws etc. Please keep in mind that the 64bit version has none of these issues.

I have done the following in an attempt to remedy the situation:

1- made sure my scratch disk is on something other than my boot disk 2- validated my history cache and steps are set to proper levels. 3- increased the memory available to 80%
4- Increased the size of my swap file
5- Down loaded the AllowOldGPU registry script.

None of these items work. Since I need the 32bit version to install my plug-ins I have to get this thing running. Otherwise I am better off in CS3 or spending even more for 64bit versions of plug-ins when they are available.

Any ideas..?

Thanks

David

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BL
Bob Levine
Oct 31, 2008
Someone may have an answer but you should be aware that XP64 is not supported at all for either the 32 bit or 64 bit versions of any Adobe software.

Bob
DB
david_bowden
Oct 31, 2008
Hey Bob,
Thanks, I caught that disclaimer when I was reading the help files and KB Articles…. naturally this was AFTER I spent the $600 on the upgrade. Its funny though, the 64bit version works WAY better than the 32bit version under XP64. There is a huge part of me that is considering rebuilding the box to just XP, but that is a real waste of what is essentially a server andf 4gb of memory.

Either way.. thanks or the note. I am hoping someone has an answer.

-David
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 31, 2008
rebuilding the box to just XP

What about Vista 64? You won’t regret it!
MC
Mark_Colston
Oct 31, 2008
After a long time saying I won’t go to Vista – I did just that last weekend – and I have to say, despite my reservations, its actually quite good.

The best bit being that programs actually work properly – eg Itunes, all the Canon software, which some did and some didn’t or had limited function under Xp64.

The biggest problem I had with Vista was the network – it took ages to find both the local network and internet – I’m not sure if its to do with the router not being supported in Vista (Not sure why though) but solved with static IP addresses.
JD
Jacqui_Dervan
Oct 31, 2008
Try adjusting your processor scheduling for background services. My pagefile is set to 24571MB. I have 16GB DDR2 RAM running in quad channel mode and performance of Lightroom 2.1 / CS4 64-bit is approximately 10-15% faster than LR 1.4.1/CS3 32-bit easily.

I have the allowOldGPU set but with all the options turned OFF.

I am using 16-bit tiffs (approx 95MB) images from the 1ds2
DB
david_bowden
Oct 31, 2008
HI Everyone,
Thanks for the replies. In my original post I expressed that this DELL Precision 670 does not have support for Vista from DELL. I originally attempted to go to Vista and was met with 3 days of a dead machine and a DELL customer support Rep telling me XP64 was the way to go.

So, I have an XP64 machine with 8gb Ram that cant run the 32bit version of PS CS4 for beans.

Jacqui, I will try your suggestions and see if these will work on my box. (fingers crossed). Moving to Vista for me means a new box.

-David
DB
david_bowden
Oct 31, 2008
Hi Jacqui,
Like you I am seeing significant performance gains in the 64bit version. However, becuase I have some 3rd party plug-ins I have to use the 32bit version to use the plug-ins. So, it needs to perform as well.

I upped my swap file but you have a couple of other tweeks in here I need to try. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply

-David
DB
david_bowden
Oct 31, 2008
It seems the program is actually working, the issue is it isnt re-freshing the screen.

If I draw the CROP box and the screen doesnt appear, but I open notepad and drag that window across the Photoshop window the screen redraws as windows messages Photoshop telling photoshop it needs to re-paint. Its almost as if photoshop isnt re-painting its window after an action. I can literally turn on a layer and then turn it off and the display will never update.

Any ideas..?
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 31, 2008
I’d take that machine to Vista 64 and bump it to eight gigs. At 4 gigs you’re not getting much benefit and XP64 is just too limited as far as support goes.

Bob
DB
david_bowden
Oct 31, 2008
I have identified the specific issue. PhotoShop CS4 (32 bit version) is not re-painting the screen properly in WindowsXP64.

To replicate the problem I do the following

1- Open PS (32bit) in Windows XP 64
2- Load PSD
3- Select Crop Tool
4- Draw Cropping region
5- Screen does not update. Crop region is displayed, but screen indicating the area that will be cropped does not display.
6- Launch Notepad
7- Drag notepad window over Photoshop windnow.
8- Photoshop Re-draws its screen and the program is functioning properly.

Basically the issue here is that the Windows API call WM_PAINT does not seem to be received by PS4 32bit in WindowsXP 64 as this problem does not present itself in the 64bit version. In writting an small application to enumerate the open windows and send this message directly to Photoshop cs4 (32bit) the program responds properly.

Please advise me on how to set PS to redraw its 32bit window or make it perform. It is also having an issue with the Windows API WM_NCPAINT where the client area (tool bars, etc) aren not being re-drawn properly in WindowsXp 64.

Please advise.
JD
Jacqui_Dervan
Oct 31, 2008
My CS4 32-bit is not having these issues at all. It seems to be about the same as CS3.

I have installed the latest nVidia driver for my display adapter (Quadro fx4500) and I have selected the Adobe Photoshop CS4 under manage 3d settings in the nvidia control panel. The only thing I changed there is the setting for multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration which I have set to Single display.
M
Mylenium
Nov 1, 2008
David, Chris Cox or Adam Jerugim mentioned this in another thread (screen refresh contained in a file refresh loop or something like this). The behavior should however be fixed in Photoshop, you may just have a problem with your graphics driver. Did you attempt to install the 178.24 version? Fixed most issues on my end (the incomplete cursor drawing, in particular).

Mylenium

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections