Chris Cox! Any Known issues with WinXP Service Pack 2????

CK
Posted By
Christine_Krof_Shock
Aug 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Chris and esteemed others, my IT department is all fired up about installing Service pack 2 for XP. Does Adobe have any issues with Service pack 2 or will it be ok! I’d rather they install it next semester but they are all fired up! (they must get a free copy of Doom or some other game with install…they’ve never moved this fast on an install before!)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DN
DS_Nelson
Aug 9, 2004
Rumor has it that the "zoom and enhance" and "remove clothes" filters will finally work properly under SP2. However, activation may not work as flawlessly as it has up to now.

(sorry, couldn’t resist)
H
Ho
Aug 9, 2004
Never, never, NEVER be the first on your block to install a MS Service Pack.
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 9, 2004
Dave will try it first, and report back once he reloads XP <G> .
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 9, 2004
awright. i’ll go get it! 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 9, 2004
geez. 457 meg. a bit on the heavy side, eh? I think the surgeon general would classify it as "obese".
B
BobLevine
Aug 9, 2004
266. Took me just under 30 minutes to download.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 9, 2004
i’m at 285 and going… where’d you get it? im getting mine from msdn subscriber svc.
Aug 9, 2004
Eek.
I’ll never go back to dial-up, if I can possibly help it.

I can remmeber the bad old days of all-night 100 MB demo downloads, and the disgust with waking up in the morning to find it got 99% then just crapped out.
P
pboone
Aug 9, 2004
Does it come with an ‘undo’ button, Bob?
B
BobLevine
Aug 9, 2004
AFAIK, you can uninstall it.

Bob
I
ID._Awe
Aug 9, 2004
I’ve been running an XPSP2RC2 for the last two months without a problem other than it won’t let me install the final release version.
GH
Gary_Hummell
Aug 9, 2004
I am not a Microsoft basher, but Ho’s reply is exactly correct. Let the brave computer enthusiasts with time on their hands go for the ride first. Wait a few weeks then visit some forums discussing software that is crucial to your work. Then you will have some good information.

Gary
DP
Donkey_Punch
Aug 9, 2004
Dave, did you RTFM??

DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP to receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC for more information on receiving Windows XP SP2.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 9, 2004
no i got the full deal. i didn’t get it from the windows update page, but the msdn download page (paid service). Oooh! There’s also customer support diagnostic tools for download! They should be fun! (29 meg to go!)
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 9, 2004
nice… 475 meg to get what i already had with mozilla, zone alarm and winamp. thank bob it didn’t come with antivirus, it woulda been over a gig!

Start clip:

How will the security of my computer be enhanced?

Service Pack 2 includes the following new security enhancements for your computer:

———————————————————— ——————– Windows Security Center
The Security Center makes it easy for you to view and manage your computer’s security settings in one place.

———————————————————— ——————– Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall is installed and turned on by default. A firewall helps protect your computer against viruses and other security threats, such as unauthorized users trying to access your computer over the Internet or a network.

———————————————————— ——————– Download protection for Internet Explorer
Download protection for Internet Explorer warns you about potentially harmful downloads and allows you to block unwanted programs.

———————————————————— ——————– Attachment Manager
Attachment Manager enhances Outlook Express, Windows Messenger, and Internet Explorer by protecting against viruses that can spread over the Internet.

———————————————————— ——————– Pop-up Blocker in Internet Explorer
The Pop-up Blocker in Internet Explorer is on by default and makes browsing the Internet more enjoyable and safer by blocking unwanted pop-ups.

———————————————————— ——————– Windows Media
Player
Windows Media Player helps you enjoy music, video, and broadband content more securely.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 10, 2004
So then it’s not so much a helpful fix for XP rather than Bill’s continued push for a complete monopoly?

(I read "Attachment Manager" as being antivirus – half baked in expected M$ style, of course)

I’ll continue to use Mozilla Firefox (and its download manager), Sygate Personal Firewall, AVG Antivirus and PowerDVD media player : at least I know they all work.

I was forlornly hoping that SP2 might have addressed some of the failings in the way XP works, rather than just fiddling with all the dangly bits and the security holes around the edges….
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 10, 2004
i’ve heard there’s a lot of work on things like buffer overruns and other security issues. so much so that no one seems to be calling it service pack 2, they’re calling it security pack 2. 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 10, 2004
well, sp2 and i’m still here! 🙂
B
BobLevine
Aug 10, 2004
Same here…on the laptop, anyway.

Just one thing. Apparently SP2 will give you some security alerts when launching the help. I think it’s pretty safe to ignore it.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 10, 2004
it didn’t pick up my norton antivirus as that’s like the last thing that loads… other than that it seems fine.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
I don’t know of any problems – but I didn’t do any SP2 testing….
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Aug 10, 2004
I’ve downloaded and installed XPSP2 and so far have had no problems. I really had no problems with the preview of XPSP2 either though the final version fixed a problem I was having when connecting my Canon EOS Digital Rebel. So far it’s a net gain and works like a charm. The pop-up blocker is great and the firewall notifies me when an app tries to connect to the internet; something I’d have to sift through my MN-700 logs for before.

The only annoying thing I’ve found is the download warning information bar. You can turn the information bar off for the pop-up blocker but I haven’t found a way to turn it off for the download security warnings.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Aug 10, 2004
Ok I’m feeling somewhat better! You guys know the problems that I have had over the last few years! (Basically we just got rid of the problem ghost image (I refer to it as the ghost of the last head of IT…he was here for 6 months) and now this! I really don’t want students crying or smoke pouring out of the hateways! (don’t ask…state contract and such!)

Good Luck and answer back if Photoshop croaks, bombs or otherwise hiccups on Service Pack 2.

Thanks as always!

(Gotta get back to my interactive PDF tutorial–totally adobe–no stinkin’ flash at all!…Makin’ Movies on Location…)
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 10, 2004
You might want to look at this:
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=878461>

At the bottom, it lists programs that might need the suggestions in this doc implemented. One of the programs is PS&, and I would assume others as well.
B
BobLevine
Aug 10, 2004
Those "problems" are simply messages that will pop up when you open the HTML help. It happens with all Adobe HTML help files and can be safely ignored.

Bob
JH
Jake_Hannam
Aug 10, 2004
I think it’s funny (and typical) that of the 16 programs listed as exhibiting the behavior, 10 of them are from Microsoft.
TM
Thomas_Madsen
Aug 10, 2004
Does Adobe have any issues with Service pack 2 or will it be ok!

I have used Creative Suite and Photoshop 7 on both SP2 RC1 and RC2 without any problems whatsoever for the last couple of months or so and it works fine on the RTM release too.

The only little "problem" I’ve found so far is that the new ActiveX- blocker in IE blocks the Adobe help files(*), but that can be changed inside Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced > ‘Allow active content to run in files on My Computer’.

(*) < http://home18.inet.tele.dk/madsen/winxp/sp2_rc2/block_adobe. png>

Regards
Madsen
RB
Radek_B
Aug 10, 2004
Well, I believe I have an issue with SP2 and Photoshop CS. I have installed and tried using SP2, but I find that the precision of the Lasso Tool in photoshop to be very poor, it seems like it doesn’t want to co-ordinate properly.

This has only occured since installing SP2. I’ve now uninstalled it and reverted back to SP1, the precision is back once again.

I don’t know what’s causing the problem, but it’s very frustrating trying to solve. I also have this problem with some tools in illustrator CS.
B
BobLevine
Aug 10, 2004
Sounds like it might be a problem with the video driver. If you hadn’t uninstalled it, I suggest turning hardware acceleration down to zero and seeing if that fixes it.

Bob
JB
Jonathan_Balza
Aug 10, 2004
Lasso seems to work perfectly for me here. What tools in Illustrator? All seem to be good for me in that program as well.

I have run into no problems with CS & SP2 so far. I have the combination running on 3 separate machines for testing purposes, and haven’t come across any issues at all, besides the afore mentioned "help files" error. The aforementioned fix solved that one right away.

I might be hallucinating, but my computer actually seems to be running faster with SP2… It uses more memory right off the bat, but booting the OS and starting Photoshop both seem to take less time.
RB
Radek_B
Aug 10, 2004
Robert: I’m using the latest drivers for my ATi 9800 Pro, the catalyst 4.7 – I will try what you said.

Jonathan: The Pen and Paint tool basically, same problems as in Photoshop.

Will try re-installing SP2 and seeing how it goes later on today.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 10, 2004
check your mouse properties. the install may have reset them to default.
JK
Julian_K
Aug 10, 2004
hm.. very odd. after the sp2 install Photoshop CS takes forever and ever to load and set itself up completely.
G
garystanley
Aug 10, 2004
have been beta testing the Serv pack 2 release candidate for over 6 months on my xp box with PS CS… and have had NO problems whatsoever…

but if you are going to install it… at least backup your files if only as temporary precaution… i havent seen it do anything nasty to any of the 6 boxes we have installed it on…
RH
r_harvey
Aug 10, 2004
Redmond, We Have a Problem Here: XP SP2 < http://channelzone.ziffdavis.com/article2/0,1759,1633858,00. asp>

IBM tells employees not to install Windows XP update < http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/08/09/HNdontinstallxp_1. html>
JK
Julian_K
Aug 10, 2004
hm.. I take that back.
obviously after another restart of the system,
CS loads normal again.
RB
Radek_B
Aug 11, 2004
I’m still suffering mouse problems, even when changing mouse properties etc.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 18, 2004
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 18, 2004
And here’s my favorite part…

"The Microsoft Security Response Center responded to the report, saying that the issues raised were not in conflict with "the design goals of the new protections," and that it did not consider the holes serious enough to warrant a patch or workaround, Schmidt says."
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 18, 2004
Mozilla anyone? Stop messing around with security on your system and go get it already. What’s it gonna take, for you to have your credit card stolen?

<http://www.mozilla.org>
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 18, 2004
"Broken by design". M$ creed.

Take Dave’s advice. Can’t see why anyone would even contemplate untabbed browsing, enough reason on its own to switch.

Plus it all works.

Fred.
H
Ho
Aug 18, 2004
I use Opera for the same, secure, tabbed reasons. Although I’ve read gripes about the way Opera renders some Web pages, I find that it works flawlessly on the sites I visit.
JB
John_Blaustein
Aug 19, 2004
Following the link Robert Levine provided, MS warns against using that download file for updating just one PC. I have a home office with 3 desktops and one laptop. It seems more efficient to download one file instead of running Windows Update on four PCs. My PCs are on a network, so sharing the file is not a problem. Any reason not to use the update file Robert pointed to?

Thank you.

John

The link:
SP2 is here < http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049 C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en>
B
BobLevine
Aug 19, 2004
There’s no reason not to use it. The reason for the "warning" is that it’s a very large file…266 megs.

It contains EVERY fix to the original WinXP. Running Windows update will only download the fixes and updates needed by that one computer. I have three XP boxes and downloaded the file in about 20 minutes.

I updated my three machines as well as a couple of friends already with no issues at all.

Bob
JB
John_Blaustein
Aug 19, 2004
Bob,

Thanks!

John

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections