Posted By
Linda_Pradetto
May 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I hope you guys can help.
We just purchased an Acer laptop computer, picked it up yesterday. Hubby is going to use this strictly for working on his pictures when out of town. He didn’t even plan to hook it up to the internet. It has Windows Vista Home Premium, 2G of RAM, 120G of hard drive and a CD/DVD player/recorder. I installed Photoshop CS2, Nik Sharpener, Neatimage noise remover and Huey Pro Calibrater onto the computer last night.
When I opened Photoshop & Bridge, opened a DVD of some RAW images, Bridge would not show the thumbnails and I couldn’t open any in Photoshop. In Bridge all that showed was a light blue box with CR2 over it and the file name below for each image. When I tried to open one I got a "Can not complete process due to a program error" message. I did open a jpeg image into Photoshop from the ones included in my documents and had no trouble with that. I didn’t acutally try to do anything with it so I’m not sure that any of the options in Photoshop actually work, although they were all active with the jpeg image.
Does anyone have any idea what I can do to correct these two problems? Thanks for any help I can get, Linda

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John Joslin
May 15, 2008
If your husband’s camera is newer than the last update of Adobe Camera Raw for CS2 you will either have to go the DNG route for viewing the files or upgrade to CS3.

You will need to get on the internet to

a. Download the latest patch to CS2 any way.

b. Check if the last ACR version for CS2 covers the camera model and download and install if it does.

c. If it doesn’t, download the DNG converter for that camera model.

The information you want should be in the Adobe Camera Raw forum here. <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.3bb6a85c>

Not many people are happy with this situation but it is Adobe policy.
LP
Linda_Pradetto
May 15, 2008
Thanks John,
I actually went into Photoshop and ran the update. This gave me the current Camera Raw file 3.7 and an update for Bridge. I downloaded it and it is installed in Photoshop. This gave me thumbnails for the images taken on our Canon Rebel XTI, but not the Canon 30D. I went to the Camera Raw Update page on adobe.com. Found the 30D back in update 3.4. Shouldn’t the latest update have all the previous updates included. As I understand the instructions, you are just supposed to replace the older version of Camera Raw with the newer. Will I have to install each update in order to get the support for my camera?
This leads me to another question, I downloaded the 3.4 and was following the instructions for installing it. It says to go to My Computer, open C, or disk with files installed, then navigate to Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS-2\File Formats. My computer wasn’t exactly like this, but I did get to the plug-in for Photoshop CS-2. After getting there, move existing Camera Raw.8bi to another location. Copy the Camera Raw Plug-in from the download into the same folder. See why is seems that the current version should have all previous updates?
Anyway, got to the Plug-in file and there is no Camera Raw file in it. I went through all the files in Adobe Program Files that looked like it might have it in it; bridge, ImageReady, and shared files. No Camera Raw to be found. I did open Photoshop up and double checked that it was showing up in the Plug-in list. Yep, it was there. Why can’t I find it in the Program Files?
Sorry this is so long, I wanted to check everything I could before replying. Sure hope I can get this straightened out. Linda
LP
Linda_Pradetto
May 15, 2008
Never mind, it is working now, Don’t know why, or why it wouldn’t work before. Don’t plan on messing with it anymore. Thanks again for your help John.

Linda
JJ
John Joslin
May 15, 2008
The latest update will work for all cameras covered, you don’t need more than one plug-in.

It occurred to me you probably have Vista on the new computer. The correct location is different.

I’ll look.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections