M
Posted By
Maryo
Dec 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I wonder if there is a way to speed up CS when it’s time to open a large .Tiff image. The slowdown is probably due to the image thumbnail attempt showed in the Open file window.

Thanks for any help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 17, 2003
No, opening wouldn’t be slowed down by drawing a thumbnail (unless the OS is doing something we don’t know about).
RA
Richard_A._Ross
Dec 17, 2003
I have the same issue, here is my post yesterday:

Richard A. Ross "Can you tell File Browser to go to background?" 12/16/03 3:19pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>

Slow on very big tiff files. Appears to only response after each thumbnail is loaded. My files are over 100MB and that’s a long wait between each thumbnail.

Can’t you program the thumbnail loading in a background thread so the event loop is not blocked?
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 9, 2004
The event loop in Photoshop is NOT blocked by reading thumbnails.

Something else is blocking.
H
Ho
Jan 9, 2004
Chris,

Same issue here (I think). The image previews in the File>Open dialog box take ages to display with large PSD files. This happens in both XP and 2k. Oddly, tiffs don’t seem to exhibit this behavior.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 9, 2004
I guess I have to add to this thread, too. I just started working on a project that uses some TIFFs that are over 200 megs. I need to scale them down for the project.

I’ve had to go back to 7.0 to get a couple of them to open because the file>open dialog box chokes on them as soon as I select them.

WinXP SP1, P4 2.66, 1 gig of RAM.

Bob
RM
Rick Moore
Jan 9, 2004
Bob, if you place one of these files on your desktop do you get an icon or a thumbnail?

I’ve had to go back to 7.0 to get a couple of them to open because the file>open dialog box chokes on them as soon as I select them.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 9, 2004
Bob, if you place one of these files on your desktop do you get an icon or a thumbnail?

Icons

Bob
RM
Rick Moore
Jan 9, 2004
Bob, if you are comfortable looking in the registry, can you tell what "Icon Bits" is set to, it should be under
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69B4 D}\MiscStatus and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d 1-819A-00C04FB69 B4D}\MiscStatus
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 9, 2004
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69B4 D}\MiscStatus

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d 1-819A-00C04FB69 B4D}\MiscStatus

HTH,

Bob
RM
Rick Moore
Jan 9, 2004
Change these to 0 and see if you have the open dialog delay problem

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69B4 D}\MiscStatus

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d 1-819A-00C04FB69
B4D}\MiscStatus

HTH,

Bob

RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 9, 2004
Change these to 0 and see if you have the open dialog delay problem

No change. PS 7 opens them in seconds. CS simply chokes on them.

Bob
RM
Rick Moore
Jan 9, 2004
Well, heck. Mine is set to 0, and CS opens the same as PS7. My last guess – did you reboot after changing this setting?

No change. PS 7 opens them in seconds. CS simply chokes on them.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 10, 2004
Well, heck. Mine is set to 0, and CS opens the same as PS7. My last guess – did you reboot after changing this setting?

Of course. I’d be happy to burn a few of those TIFFs to CD and mail them to you.

Bob
RM
Rick Moore
Jan 10, 2004
Bob, I have created a directory with some 100 and 200 meg images (all of the new $20, just for the heck of it) and except for the initial display of the explorer dialog when the machine cranked for about 30 seconds creating the thumbs.db file, I can’t replicate your problem. Sorry I couldn’t help but I’m fairly confident your problem is somehow connected to psicon.dll – but with icon bits set to 1 you should have got preview images when placing the files on your desktop and they should have taken forever to generate in an explorer view, regardless of the view settings.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 10, 2004
At some point, I’ll copy some of those images to my laptop which only has CS on it and see if the problem occurs there, also.

Bob
RM
Rick Moore
Jan 10, 2004
Good plan, I’m guessing the problem won’t occur since that machine never had psicon.dll

At some point, I’ll copy some of those images to my laptop which only has CS on it and see if the problem occurs there, also.
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Jan 14, 2004
<bump> – so I can easily find this again.
M
MarkATS
Jan 14, 2004
subscribe to the discussion. Makes finding them much easier 😉
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 15, 2004
<bump> – so I can easily find this again.

Well done!

Bob
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Jan 15, 2004
Bob,

Is your FileBrowser preference currently set to generate high quality previews? If so, try removing that preference to see if it allows you to open the files while the preview is being generated.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 15, 2004
High quality previews are already turned off.

And for reference here’s the rest of the settings:

Do not process files larger than is set to 50 megs
Display __ most recent files is set to 10
Custom thumbnail size is set to 256 px wide
Allow background processing is off
Render vector files is on
Parse XMP meta data from non-image files is off
Keep sidecar files with Master files is on.

HTH,

Bob
RM
Rick Moore
Jan 15, 2004
I have been also trying to get at the cause of the File|Open dialog delay. I’ve tried all sorts of registry ediiting but nothing I did affected it all. Two things have been more or less successful, however:
1. Uninstalled CS and re-installed without a previous PS7 install, this makes a noticeable difference
2. Unchecking the high-quality previews makes a noticeable difference, and with both of these I seem to avoid the temporary lockup that occurs while the preview is being generated.
3. It is still not as peppy as PS7 moving around the dialog box.
4. Do a File|Open in Imageready and you will see what the goal is – there is
no image preview under the dialog window and the file size of the contents of the window is completely immaterial

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections