DB
Posted By
Dan_Bannister
Jul 22, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Win XP, CS3 and Canon CR2 files, I have the latest RAW Plugin.

I had Lightroom installed on my PC but, it kept giving me tons of grief so I uninstalled it. I was able to see the previews of the images in LR when I had it installed but, now I’m trying to process them and when i open the folder, most of the images won’t generate a preview. When I try to open them with CS3, I get a message that it does not recognize the file type. The extension is still CR2 on the images so, does anybody know what’s going on and how to fix it.

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

HC
Howard_Cromwell
Jul 22, 2007
I was seconds away from posting the same thing…

I have the exact same problem! I don’t have Lightroom though. I installed Premiere CS3, Encore CS3, & Onlocation CS 3. I have Photoshop CS2 and Bridge CS2 installed.

But now my Canon .crw files will preview in Bridge CS3 and not Bridge CS2, but now I cannot access Camera Raw on either apps and I also get the error "unrecognised file"

Thanks.
HC
Howard_Cromwell
Jul 22, 2007
Tried everything, still not working at all.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jul 22, 2007
Does "everything" include: repair reinstall of both CS3 and CS2, manual reinstallation of Camera Raw 3.7 for CS2 and 4.1 for CS3, and deleting or renaming your preference files for both?
HC
Howard_Cromwell
Jul 22, 2007
Does "everything" include: repair reinstall of both CS3 and CS2, manual reinstallation of Camera Raw 3.7 for CS2 and 4.1 for CS3, and deleting or renaming your preference files for both?

Yip!

Ok lets ignore the new versions of bridge, photoshop and raw…

I am unable to open my .crw files with the ‘old’ camera raw in bridge 1 or photoshop 2… that is my problem. I understand that camera is a photoshop lugin not a bridge plugin.
HC
Howard_Cromwell
Jul 22, 2007
Camera Raw 3.7 for CS2

Did not try that! Sorry is the Camera Raw 3.7 found on my photoshop CS2 disc?
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jul 22, 2007
No, that’s 3.0 or 3.1, I think.
HC
Howard_Cromwell
Jul 22, 2007
I actually do not care what version it is, I just want to open my crw files on camera raw in photoshop2 which after installing the new bridge and camera seems to have buggered up.

I cannot find the old camera raw on my photoshop cs2 disc?
DB
Dan_Bannister
Jul 22, 2007
Now we’re dealing with two different problems here, I originally posted my specific issue so, I’m hoping someone can help me.

I was told by Adobe that you cant run both cs2 and cs3. So, I uninstalled CS2, Installed the trial of CS3 and also uninstalled LR. So, as it stands, I am running just CS3 and cant see any of the raw files I could see previously. Im guessing LR hijacked them in some way.

Any ideas?
HC
Howard_Cromwell
Jul 22, 2007
Yip sorry for hijacking your problem.

I uninstalled every single piece of adobe software, re-installed and it works now.

🙂
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 22, 2007
am running just CS3 and cant see any of the raw files I could see previously.

Did you try purging the cache?
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jul 22, 2007
Dan, either the Adobe rep or you suffers from a misunderstanding: You can’t run both versions of Photoshop at the same time, but you definitely can have both installed and use them separately.

As Chris suggested, try purging the cache in Bridge. If that doesn’t work, try a repair reinstallation and update of CS3 and delete your preferences file.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 22, 2007
You can’t run both versions of Photoshop at the same time

I heard you can on the Mac; maybe he was mixing his platforms.
DB
Dan_Bannister
Jul 22, 2007
Ive purged the cache and reinstalled CS3 however, still no luck. Where is the preferences file?

Any other ideas?
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jul 22, 2007
The preferences file for CS3 is (in XP) C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp — you will need to have Windows Explorer set to show hidden and system files and unhide file extensions (Tools > Folder Options > View). Either delete or rename it.
DB
Dan_Bannister
Jul 22, 2007
OK, ive deleted that, purged the cache again and still no previews, still get unrecognized file when I try to open.

The files have CR2 as the extension. What else can I try?
RP
Rick_Popham
Jul 22, 2007
Dan,

Did you check the file associations preference in Bridge? Edit\Preferences — "File Type Associations". The "Canon Camera Raw (.crw, .cr2)" should be set to "Photoshop CS3" — at least that’s what works on mine.

Rick
DB
Dan_Bannister
Jul 22, 2007
Thanks but no, checked that and thats not it.
DB
Dan_Bannister
Jul 22, 2007
OK, now I got it, for future reference, delete and reinstalled the Camera Raw Plug in and all seems fine.

Thanks for the help everyone.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jul 23, 2007
Great!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections