LS
Posted By
Lee_S_A
Dec 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am not able to install ServicePack 2 on my computer with Windows XP Home Edition since it causes it to completely crash. Is there any way to overwrite the requirements needed for the installation of Photoshop CS3 Extended SE so that I am able to run it without having ServicePack 2 on my Computer? Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Dec 21, 2007
while not recommended if you can’t you can’t.

search turned up an old post. disclaimer: always use caution when editing the registry as you can disable your machine!!! if you’re not comfortable editing the registry, either find someone who is or DON’T DO IT! 🙂

Chris Roske, "CS3 and Windows XP with Service Pack-1" #10, 28 Apr 2007 2:40 am </webx?14/9>

Chris Roske – 2:40am Apr 28, 07 PST (#10 of 25) Edited: 28-Apr-2007 at 03:42am

I too had numerous problems with SP2, I Ghosted my system back to SP1 and then simply changed a setting in the registry so it appears that I have SP2

(HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/control/windows)

change the SP1 value (CSDVersion 0x00000100)

to SP2 (CSDVersion 0x00000200) reboot. Look in Control Panel/system and guess what.

By the way CS3 loaded and works perfect.
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 21, 2007
If SP2 is causing problems then there’s something deeper going on. I’d blow the machine out and do a clean install of Windows and try again.

Hacking the registry for this is not a good idea and you might just have problems installing PS anyway since the installers for CS3 across the entire product line seem to be very picky about the machines they’re installing on.

The other point I’d make is that if you only have SP1 it’s likely to be an older machine. What are the system specs on it?

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 21, 2007
If SP2 is causing problems then there’s something deeper going on. I’d blow the machine out and do a clean install of Windows and try again.

true bob, but sometimes that’s not an option. 2 machines back i had a box that wouldn’t upgrade. would freeze up 1st boot after installing sp2. never found out what the exact problem was, even after several formats and clean installs (xp pro retail boxed) but eventually i upgraded systems and everything was hunkey-dorie. something in hardware simply didn’t like the update.

so as a workaround on a box that refuses to go, that’s not a bad fix, as long as the user knows they’re at risk by not applying sp2, along with a suggestion to upgrade to a newer system asap.
LS
Lee_S_A
Dec 21, 2007
Thanks to everyone for the verrry fast response, i owe you one. I formated my pc some time ago and everytime i upgraded to sp2, it crashed ( tried it 5 times ) so I left it with SP1. I did use original cds and no cracked version of windows.
I changed the registry now like Dave Milbut proposed and everything seems to be working fine… but do i have to change back the value to
0x00000100 to prevent bugs with other programms or can i leave it like it is? Dont have so much knowledge of what i changed to know .
Thx, Leo
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 21, 2007
You might want to look at this, and if not applicable, continue to search the MS support options.

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885626>

The note about BIOS is particularly true.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 21, 2007
. I formated my pc some time ago and everytime i upgraded to sp2, it crashed ( tried it 5 times ) so I left it with SP1

same problem i had. i believe it was on my P3 800 mhz system.

but do i have to change back the value to 0x00000100 to prevent bugs with other programms or can i leave it like it is?

as far as i know, no. you can leave it.

glad it helped.
dave

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections