BrianLS
Jan 4, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Running XP with latest service pack
exceed all the minimum requirements

When try to install the trial version, it unpacks all the files properly. Then, when run setup.exe absolutely nothing happens. I watch in Task Manager and setup.exe is shown as one of the running programs. When first activated, it reaches high cpu usage, then slowly falls to 0% cpu usage and does absolutely nothing.

Have waited overnight letting it run. No joy.
Have downloaded photoshop trial again. No joy.
Have downloaded other cs4 trials. No joy.

Any idea what is causing this problem?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

M
Mylenium
Jan 4, 2009
It’s not initializing the MSI handler (msiexec.exe). The reasons for this can be rather varied, but your best bet is to download the CS4 clean utility and unregister any previous instances of CS3 and other Adobe products that may linger on you drive. The programs will remain working, you just get rid of the installer entries. That’s assuming of course that you are running with proper administrative privileges to begin… Another matter to look into is the availability of temporary disk space in C:\Documents and Settings\Brian\Local Settings\Temp . If neither of the steps provides a solution, then you may need to manually delete some files, so check back…

Mylenium
B
BrianLS
Jan 4, 2009
Hi Mylenium,

Thank you for the suggestion. While this computer has not had CS3 installed on it, it does have a few other Adobe products. So I ran the clean utility as you indicated. However, once run, it provides a blank "list of products installed on this machine." And it states "There are no session to delete". So it doesn’t seem that will help.

I also checked the temp disk as you suggested. It currently has 6GB of files in it. However, I still have 61GB of space available on that drive. So I don’t know that is the problem either. (As an aside, is it safe to simply delete all those files and free up that 6GB)?

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Brian
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jan 4, 2009
Brian,

You can safely delete *.tmp files after a reboot. Check if the files have a date/time stamp indicating they’re from before the reboot.

Rob
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 4, 2009
You can safely delete *.tmp files after a reboot.

you can delete ANYthing in the temp folder (including exe, dll and other folders), and should do so if you’re having a problem with an installer.
B
BrianLS
Jan 5, 2009
Well, even after deleting everything out of the temp folder, still no joy. Does the exact same thing as before.

So what are the files I am going to have to manually delete?
BL
Brian_LS
Jan 7, 2009
Hi Mylenium,

As you will note, I followed all your suggestions with no luck. You said I should check back with you and you would have some suggestions about manually resolving this problem. Well, I am checking back with you now. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Brian
BL
Brian_LS
Jan 12, 2009
Is there no solution to this problem?
MD
Mark_Dekker
Jan 14, 2009
I have had the same frustration. Tried everything except the thing that works. Tried setup in:
Safe mode
Minimal windows
different disks , dvd, directory
run cs3/4 cleaners at level 3 and 4 (this removed my flash,reader, and air. nothing
setup starts and then just freezes. It contacts local host, then Adobe’s site and then just stops. Unbelievably frustrating.
Google CS3 wont install and you will have a week of reading. I cant believe that a company that can develop the finest software on the planet cant get an installer to work.
I tend to think it is paranoia about security and piracy.
TH
Tom_Hanks
Feb 15, 2009
used the cleanutility script it prompts: There are no session to delete.

what files can i delete manually and clean the registry related to CS4.

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections