J
Posted By
JOHNCHAP2
Feb 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just DL’d and installed a "trial" copy of Photoshop Elements 6.0 . Much to my disappointment the OPEN AS does not work; and, of couse, the Adobe Help Documentation is nearly worthless. If I try to open a jpg (created in CS2) as a PSD file, I get the error msg that it is not a Photoshop Document. When I try to open a jpg as a Photoshop RAW, I get a message block on the screen entitled Describing [File Name], with blank image height and width and number of channels equal 1. Apparently, the OPEN AS cannot decifer the image data from the image file. From things that I have read, the OPEN AS should immediately convert the image and I should not be getting any messages.

From my preliminary tests, I have not found any files that do not open correctly as themselves (jpg to jpg, raw to raw, psd to psd).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bob
Feb 27, 2008
How about taking the back door route? Open the jpg and Save As. Will that work for you?

"JOHNCHAP2" wrote in message
Just DL’d and installed a "trial" copy of Photoshop Elements 6.0 . Much to my disappointment the OPEN AS does not work; and, of couse, the Adobe Help Documentation is nearly worthless. If I try to open a jpg (created in CS2) as a PSD file, I get the error msg that it is not a Photoshop Document. When I try to open a jpg as a Photoshop RAW, I get a message block on the screen entitled Describing [File Name], with blank image height and width and number of channels equal 1. Apparently, the OPEN AS cannot decifer the image data from the image file. From things that I have read, the OPEN AS should immediately convert the image and I should not be getting any messages.
From my preliminary tests, I have not found any files that do not open correctly as themselves (jpg to jpg, raw to raw, psd to psd).
RG
Roy G
Feb 27, 2008

Hi.

It is not intended to make file type conversions.

It is only intended to open files, which are of the specified type, but may have an incorrect or no file type in their name.

For example a jpg File which is called FredBlogs.jog, would "Open As" jpg, if you try it is a jpg. But, there is no way it would ever open as a psd, unless it actually was a psd.

Roy G
JU
jclarke.usenet
Feb 27, 2008
JOHNCHAP2 wrote:
Just DL’d and installed a "trial" copy of Photoshop Elements 6.0 . Much to my disappointment the OPEN AS does not work; and, of couse, the Adobe Help Documentation is nearly worthless. If I try to open a
jpg (created in CS2) as a PSD file, I get the error msg that it is not
a Photoshop Document. When I try to open a jpg as a Photoshop RAW, I
get a message block on the screen entitled Describing [File Name], with blank image height and width and number of channels equal 1. Apparently, the OPEN AS cannot decifer the image data from the image file. From things that I have read, the OPEN AS should immediately convert the image and I should not be getting any messages.
From my preliminary tests, I have not found any files that do not open
correctly as themselves (jpg to jpg, raw to raw, psd to psd).

Why would you expect a .jpg to open as something else?

That’s kind of like expecting an Excel spreadsheet to open as an MP3.

"Open As" is for situations in which the extension doesn’t match the file format and you know the correct format.

–John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
L
leo
Feb 27, 2008
JOHNCHAP2 wrote:

i belive that on the mac side, photoshop used to do this easily- at least in photoshop 5.
i am not sure with regards to "elements", however. Still there may be a shareware version of cassidy&greene’s "graphicConverter", and some utilities that specifically change fie/type attributes.
Again, im only going by what i remember from the mac side- i do not know if windows has similiar solutions.
J
JOHNCHAP2
Feb 27, 2008
On Feb 26, 2:17 pm, JOHNCHAP2 wrote:
Just DL’d and installed a "trial" copy of Photoshop Elements 6.0 . Much to my disappointment the OPEN AS does not work; and, of couse, the Adobe Help Documentation is nearly worthless.  If I try to open a jpg (created in CS2) as a PSD file, I get the error msg that it is not a Photoshop Document.  When I try to open a jpg as a Photoshop RAW, I get a message block on the screen entitled Describing [File Name], with blank image height and width and number of channels equal 1. Apparently, the OPEN AS cannot decifer the image data from the image file.  From things that I have read, the OPEN AS should immediately convert the image and I should not be getting any messages.

Well, I have at least a partial answer now. Specifically, I can now open into the Adobe Camera Raw edit, using OPEN AS, either a tif or jpg using the first of the two Camera RAW open as formats. This can be important if one only has a tif or jpg image that was, for example, shot with the incorrect white balance setting. However, partial success here does not explain to me what the purpose of the OPEN AS is, if it really won’t convert any other types of files.
RG
Roy G
Feb 28, 2008
On Feb 26, 2:17 pm, JOHNCHAP2 wrote:
However, partial success here does not explain to me what the purpose of the OPEN AS is, if it really won’t convert any other types of files.

J Clarke replied to you –
"Open As" is for situations in which the extension doesn’t match the file format and you know the correct format".

I replied –
"It is only intended to open files, which are of the specified type, but may have an incorrect or no file type in their name."

Were the replies too difficult to comprehend ????

Roy G
J
JOHNCHAP2
Feb 28, 2008
On Feb 27, 7:11 pm, "Roy G" wrote:

However, partial success here does not explain to me what the purpose of the OPEN AS is, if it really won’t convert any other types of files.
 J Clarke replied to you  –
"Open As" is for situations in which the extension doesn’t match the file format and you know the correct format".

I replied –
"It is only intended to open files, which are of the specified type, but may have an incorrect or no file type in their name."

Roy G

Besides the replies not addressing the ability of OPEN AS to bring jpg and tif files into the raw editor (the only real attribute of this instruction), I guess I had difficulty in believing that OPEN AS was as useless as it was described since one can accomplish the same thing by renaming a file with a different extension.
JM
Joseph Meehan
Feb 28, 2008
Why would you want to bring a jpg or tif file into a RAW editor? Raw editors are designed to handle the information in a RAW file. Other file formats don’t have all that information and you can’t add it, in any meaningful way, to a jpg or tif.

Joseph Meehan

Dia ‘s Muire duit

On Feb 27, 7:11 pm, "Roy G" wrote:

I replied –
"It is only intended to open files, which are of the specified type, but may
have an incorrect or no file type in their name."

Roy G

Besides the replies not addressing the ability of OPEN AS to bring jpg and tif files into the raw editor (the only real attribute of this instruction), I guess I had difficulty in believing that OPEN AS was as useless as it was described since one can accomplish the same thing by renaming a file with a different extension.
RG
Roy G
Feb 29, 2008
On Feb 27, 7:11 pm, "Roy G" wrote:

I replied –
"It is only intended to open files, which are of the specified type, but may
have an incorrect or no file type in their name."

Roy G

If you care to re-read your original post you might notice that you did not make any mention of bringing jpg or tif files into the RAW editor.

"Open As" is not the most useful command in PS, but that is quite different from saying it does not work.

Roy G
JM
Joseph Meehan
Feb 29, 2008

I would not say useless. It does not have a use for most users, but then just about any single option in Photoshop is useless to the majority of users. The same can be said about more programs including MS Word, Excel etc.

Joseph Meehan

Dia ‘s Muire duit

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections